* looking for FORTRAN to Ada translators
@ 1995-03-09 14:47 David K. Leucht
From: David K. Leucht @ 1995-03-09 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking for FORTRAN to Ada translators, hosted on DOS-PCs or Unix.

Anyone know of such beasties?

David K. Leucht                     Internet:  dleucht@ccmail.gsfc.nasa.gov
Guidance and Control Branch            Voice:  (301) 286-4460
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center         FAX:  (301) 286-1600
Code 712.1
Greenbelt, MD 20771

* Re: looking for FORTRAN to Ada translators
@ 1995-03-09 21:00 ` Jacob S. Andersen
From: Jacob S. Andersen @ 1995-03-09 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David K. Leucht (DLEUCHT@ccmail.gsfc.nasa.gov) is looking for a FORTRAN (is
it all capital letters?) to Ada compiler.

Since the new revision of Ada (aka Ada 95) includes interfacing to FORTRAN
code, you shouldn't need such a thing. - And I have heard, that F2A
compilers, just generates FORTRAN code with Ada syntax, which should not be a
pretty sight.

Regards,
                     Jacob Sparre Andersen.
--
Have you played with your LEGO today?
--

* Re: looking for FORTRAN to Ada translators
@ 1995-03-10  8:59 ` Alydaar Software corp.
From: Alydaar Software corp. @ 1995-03-10  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <DLEUCHT.82.000ECA9B@ccmail.gsfc.nasa.gov> DLEUCHT@ccmail.gsfc.nasa.gov (David K. Leucht) writes:
>From: DLEUCHT@ccmail.gsfc.nasa.gov (David K. Leucht)
>Subject: looking for FORTRAN to Ada translators
>Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 14:47:23

>I'm looking for FORTRAN to Ada translators, hosted on DOS-PCs or Unix.

>Anyone know of such beasties?

Alydaar Software provides FORTRAN (all dialects) to Ada (83 & 95)
translations.  All services are guaranteed for functionality and style.

alydaar@neosoft.com
504-3322

* Re: looking for FORTRAN to Ada translators
@ 1995-03-10 16:12 CONDIC
From: CONDIC @ 1995-03-10 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Subject: Re: looking for FORTRAN to Ada translators
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

"Jacob S. Andersen" <sparre+@PITT.EDU> writes:

>David K. Leucht (DLEUCHT@ccmail.gsfc.nasa.gov) is looking for a FORTRAN (is
>it all capital letters?) to Ada compiler.

Just a guess, but since it is derived from "Formula Translation"
it should probably be spelled ForTran. But since it was also
invented back in the days of half-ascii and upper-case only line
printers, it's history has been FORTRAN.

As for ForTran to Ada translators, I asked this question a while
ago. I got some very kind responses from several people, but I
found two problems: 1) No major "commercial" products and 2)
Nobody claiming it would do the whole job automatically, or even
very well. (You get AdaTran at best) Someone (forget who, but
maybe he'll respond again) has rights to some translator that
came from General Electric (The lightbulb guys who *didn't* get
the ATF engine - not that I'm gloating or anything like that ;-)
I recall he was looking for an opportunity to take it commercial,
so there might be some hope of getting a supported product.

If you hear of anything - I still have the potential issue, so
keep me on the posts.

Pax,
Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    Please send responses to one of the addresses in this trailer.
    A "reply" to the address in the message header will bounce.
   "If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it."

        -- Calvin Coolidge

* Re: looking for FORTRAN to Ada translators
@ 1995-03-12  3:36 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1995-03-12  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin made some guesses as to the capitalization of Fortran. Just so there
is no confusion on this point (after all the Ada folks are very particular
about capitalization of *their* language :-)

The language was originally FORTRAN, but later officially changed to
Fortran. I believe the change was from the 66 standard (FORTRAN) to
the 77 standard (Fortran).

So it should always be spelled Fortran these days, and the subject
is indeed incorrectly capitalized in this thread, but I did not change
it because many thread following mailers would lose the thread!

* Re: looking for FORTRAN to Ada translators
@ 1995-03-12 11:59   ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1995-03-12 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3jtq83$6bi@gnat.cs.nyu.edu>, Robert Dewar <dewar@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
>Marin made some guesses as to the capitalization of Fortran. Just so there
>is no confusion on this point (after all the Ada folks are very particular
>about capitalization of *their* language :-)
>
>The language was originally FORTRAN, but later officially changed to
>Fortran. I believe the change was from the 66 standard (FORTRAN) to
>the 77 standard (Fortran).

From Magnus Kempe's Ada FAQ:
   In addition, ISO and IEEE recommend as a general guideline to spell
   like proper names the language names that are pronounced as they are
   spelled (e.g. Ada, Pascal, Cobol, Basic, Fortran). Note: that a name
   originally resulted from abbreviation is considered irrelevant. For
   language names that are phonetically spelled (e.g. C, C++, APL, PL/1),
   they should be spelled in all uppercase.

--
      Frustrated with C, C++, Pascal, Fortran?  Ada95 _might_ be for you!
	  For all sorts of interesting Ada95 tidbits, run the command:

* Re: looking for FORTRAN to Ada translators
@ 1995-03-12 12:30   ` paus
From: paus @ 1995-03-12 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3jtq83$6bi@gnat.cs.nyu.edu> dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
> The language was originally FORTRAN, but later officially changed to
> Fortran. I believe the change was from the 66 standard (FORTRAN) to
> the 77 standard (Fortran).
>
> So it should always be spelled Fortran these days, [...]

Are you sure ? I've seen a lot of programmers in industry who claim
to be Fortran programmers but if you look at their code it is really
FORTRAN. So if they use the capitalized version, may they jsut mean
what they say :-)

Michael

* Re: looking for FORTRAN to Ada translators
@ 1995-03-13 17:24   ` William B. Clodius
From: William B. Clodius @ 1995-03-13 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Article <3jtq83$6bi@gnat.cs.nyu.edu>, dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wrote:
>Marin made some guesses as to the capitalization of Fortran. Just so there
>is no confusion on this point (after all the Ada folks are very particular
>about capitalization of *their* language :-)
>
>The language was originally FORTRAN, but later officially changed to
>Fortran. I believe the change was from the 66 standard (FORTRAN) to
>the 77 standard (Fortran).
>
>So it should always be spelled Fortran these days, and the subject
>is indeed incorrectly capitalized in this thread, but I did not change
>it because many thread following mailers would lose the thread!

Check the Fortran FAQ

To summarize: the FORTRAN 77 standard was written about the time it was
decided that the spelling of languages should be standardized in a way that
would cause FORTRAN to be spelled Fortran.  The language is consistently
spelled FORTRAN in that ANSI (and ISO) standard.  No official change was
made untill Fortran 90 which consistently refers to FORTRAN 77 and Fortran
90.  The "official" spelling is therefore FORTRAN for pre Fortran 90
Fortran, but Fortran was often used unofficially in many texts, and is
correct for F90, F9x, and HPF.

* Re: looking for FORTRAN to Ada translators
@ 1995-03-16 20:52     ` Norman H. Cohen
From: Norman H. Cohen @ 1995-03-16 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <clodius.1145503128B@newshost.lanl.gov>, clodius@lanl.gov (William B. Clodius) writes:

|> To summarize: the FORTRAN 77 standard was written about the time it was
|> decided that the spelling of languages should be standardized in a way that
|> would cause FORTRAN to be spelled Fortran.  The language is consistently
|> spelled FORTRAN in that ANSI (and ISO) standard.  No official change was
|> made untill Fortran 90 which consistently refers to FORTRAN 77 and Fortran
|> 90.  The "official" spelling is therefore FORTRAN for pre Fortran 90
|> Fortran, but Fortran was often used unofficially in many texts, and is
|> correct for F90, F9x, and HPF.

And yet Lois Haibt, who worked with John Backus on the original FORTRAN I
and II compilers, showed me an IBM manual for FORTRAN II whose cover said
"Fortran".

--
Norman H. Cohen    ncohen@watson.ibm.com

* Re: looking for FORTRAN to Ada translators
@ 1995-03-19  0:44     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1995-03-19  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Are you sure? [that Fortran should be thus spelled]"

Yes, I am sure! The only doubt I expressed was when this change was made.