From: Dmitry A. Kazakov <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: GNAT and MySql - looking for information
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:08:34 +0200
Date: 2003-07-21T13:08:34+02:00	[thread overview]

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:41:16 +0000 (UTC), Preben Randhol
<randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:

>Dmitry A Kazakov wrote:
>> I also used GNADE's ODBC. It worked fine. [Unfortunately it had only
>> "thin" bindings. So I had to wrap them into tagged types
>> ODBC_Environment, ODBC_Connection etc.]
>
>If you did improvements, please consider submitting these to the authors
>of Gnade so they can include them if they fit.

Well, they should first decide if they want to have thick bindings for
ODBC. Probably, they do not. I would not at their place, because this
could be solved in the framework of Ada DB bindings with ODBC as a
"transport" layer among many others. Which would be much preferable
than to have separate "thick" bindings for whatsoever interface.
Especially because then you can have a more efficent way [than ODBC]
to communicate with a given DB, without sacrifying the genericity of
your application.

>There are several bindings to different databases, but I think we are
>best served with a good general Gnade library than a lot of loose ends.
>Of course I can see that in some special cases it would be nice with
>bindings to a spesific database at it may utilise special features of
>this database, in this case (and possibly other) speical bindings are
>OK, but I would rather see Gnade as the library of choice.

Yes. Even if GNADE were bad (but it is AFAIK good), we should still
stick to it. (:-))

---
Regards,
Dmitry Kazakov