* AdaOpenGL and AdaMultimedia
@ 2007-09-19 19:11 Alexis Muller
From: Alexis Muller @ 2007-09-19 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

This may interest someone. I have worked on the AdaOpenGL binding. The
idea is to use Ada typing instead of C style (naming convention and
const int). I have also translate in Ada lot of samples for the opengl
book. You can get this work from the project's CVS
( http://sourceforge.net/projects/adaopengl/ ), but I need to finish it
before doing a new release.

I have also start a new project : AdaMultimedia
( http://sourceforge.net/projects/adamultimedia/ ). The goal is to
provide a library to handle multimedia files. Like ffmpeg but in Ada ;)
For now it can be decode bmp pictures, AVI containers and the cinepak
codec. I am working on jpeg.

Feel free to send me a mail if you what more information.

Best regards,

* Re: AdaOpenGL and AdaMultimedia
@ 2007-09-19 19:44 ` Markus E L
From: Markus E L @ 2007-09-19 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alexis Muller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This may interest someone. I have worked on the AdaOpenGL binding. The
> idea is to use Ada typing instead of C style (naming convention and
> const int). I have also translate in Ada lot of samples for the opengl
> book. You can get this work from the project's CVS
> ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/adaopengl/ ), but I need to finish it
> before doing a new release.
>
> I have also start a new project : AdaMultimedia
> ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/adamultimedia/ ). The goal is to
> provide a library to handle multimedia files. Like ffmpeg but in Ada ;)
> For now it can be decode bmp pictures, AVI containers and the cinepak
> codec. I am working on jpeg.
>
> Feel free to send me a mail if you what more information.
>
> Best regards,

GMPGPL instead of LGPL would be nice.

Regards -- Markus

* Re: AdaOpenGL and AdaMultimedia
@ 2007-09-20 23:24   ` Poul-Erik Andreasen
From: Poul-Erik Andreasen @ 2007-09-20 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Markus E L wrote:
> Alexis Muller wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This may interest someone. I have worked on the AdaOpenGL binding. The
>> idea is to use Ada typing instead of C style (naming convention and
>> const int). I have also translate in Ada lot of samples for the opengl
>> book. You can get this work from the project's CVS
>> ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/adaopengl/ ), but I need to finish it
>> before doing a new release.
>>
>> I have also start a new project : AdaMultimedia
>> ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/adamultimedia/ ). The goal is to
>> provide a library to handle multimedia files. Like ffmpeg but in Ada ;)
>> For now it can be decode bmp pictures, AVI containers and the cinepak
>> codec. I am working on jpeg.
>>
>> Feel free to send me a mail if you what more information.
>>
>> Best regards,
>

> GMPGPL instead of LGPL would be nice.

That's not a god idea since the original is a
BSD'style licens :-)

PEA

* Re: AdaOpenGL and AdaMultimedia
@ 2007-09-21  2:43     ` Markus E L
From: Markus E L @ 2007-09-21  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Poul-Erik Andreasen wrote:

> Markus E L wrote:
>> Alexis Muller wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This may interest someone. I have worked on the AdaOpenGL binding. The
>>> idea is to use Ada typing instead of C style (naming convention and
>>> const int). I have also translate in Ada lot of samples for the opengl
>>> book. You can get this work from the project's CVS
>>> ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/adaopengl/ ), but I need to finish it
>>> before doing a new release.
>>>
>>> I have also start a new project : AdaMultimedia
>>> ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/adamultimedia/ ). The goal is to
>>> provide a library to handle multimedia files. Like ffmpeg but in Ada ;)
>>> For now it can be decode bmp pictures, AVI containers and the cinepak
>>> codec. I am working on jpeg.
>>>
>>> Feel free to send me a mail if you what more information.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>> GMPGPL instead of LGPL would be nice.
>
> That's not a god idea since the original is a
> BSD'style licens :-)

Which original? And why is original-BSD-Adaversion-LGPL better than
original-BSD-Adaversion-GMGPL? Whatever the "original" is here ....

Regards - M

* Re: AdaOpenGL and AdaMultimedia
@ 2007-09-21  5:11     ` Alexis Muller
From: Alexis Muller @ 2007-09-21  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 01:24 +0200, Poul-Erik Andreasen wrote:
> That's not a god idea since the original is a
> BSD'style licens :-)

The AdaOpenGL project is under the BSD license but AdaMultimedia is a
totally new project writing from scratch by reading the specs. It is not
a translation of any existing project.

Is the GMGPL is OSI approved ?

* Re: AdaOpenGL and AdaMultimedia
@ 2007-09-21 17:38       ` Markus E L
From: Markus E L @ 2007-09-21 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alexis Muller wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 01:24 +0200, Poul-Erik Andreasen wrote:
>> That's not a god idea since the original is a
>> BSD'style licens :-)
>
> The AdaOpenGL project is under the BSD license but AdaMultimedia is a
> totally new project writing from scratch by reading the specs. It is not
> a translation of any existing project.
>
> Is the GMGPL is OSI approved ?

AFAIS, yes. It's GPL with a linking exception which still makes it
GPL. AFAI understand (w/o looking it up) the GPL there is a clause
that allows the original authors to add linking exceptions (which may
subsequently dropped by redistributors -- see what AdaCore did to
florist (to tighten control?)).

Regards -- Markus

* Re: AdaOpenGL and AdaMultimedia
@ 2007-09-21 23:10       ` Poul-Erik Andreasen
From: Poul-Erik Andreasen @ 2007-09-21 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Markus E L wrote:
> Poul-Erik Andreasen wrote:
>
>> Markus E L wrote:

>>> GMPGPL instead of LGPL would be nice.
>> That's not a god idea since the original is a
>> BSD'style licens :-)
>
> Which original? And why is original-BSD-Adaversion-LGPL better than
> original-BSD-Adaversion-GMGPL? Whatever the "original" is here ....

None of them are alowed, you can not make a BSD licence to
a LGPL or GMGPL ( at least not this one);

I am only talking abount the adaopengl. The AdaMultimedia
are a brand new project as Alexis also points out

PEA

* Re: AdaOpenGL and AdaMultimedia
@ 2007-09-22  2:37         ` Markus E L
From: Markus E L @ 2007-09-22  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Poul-Erik Andreasen wrote:

> Markus E L wrote:
>> Poul-Erik Andreasen wrote:

>>> That's not a god idea since the original is a
>>> BSD'style licens :-)
>> Which original? And why is original-BSD-Adaversion-LGPL better than
>> original-BSD-Adaversion-GMGPL? Whatever the "original" is here ....
>>

> None of them are alowed, you can not make a BSD licence to
> a LGPL or GMGPL ( at least not this one);
>
> I am only talking abount the adaopengl. The AdaMultimedia
> are a brand new project as Alexis also points out

And I'm talking about AdaMultimedia as evidenced by "instead" in
"GMPGPL instead of LGPL would be nice". So I'm still confused about
"That's not a god idea since the original is a BSD'style licens" and
do think you've missed my point.

Regards -- Markus

* Re: AdaOpenGL and AdaMultimedia
@ 2007-09-22  7:40         ` Tomek Wa kuski
From: Tomek Wa kuski @ 2007-09-22  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 Wrz, 01:10, Poul-Erik Andreasen <poule...@pea.dk> wrote:
> None of them are alowed, you can not make a BSD licence to
> a LGPL or GMGPL ( at least not this one);

We were discussing about it in topic "Ada and licensing" - IMO he can
apply BSD license to bindings (and only to them), but... it is
useless, because original code is GPLed and future code which uses
adaopengl bindings also should be GPL.

Tomek

* Re: AdaOpenGL and AdaMultimedia
@ 2007-09-22 11:11           ` Markus E L
From: Markus E L @ 2007-09-22 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tomek Wa kuski wrote:

> On 22 Wrz, 01:10, Poul-Erik Andreasen <poule...@pea.dk> wrote:
>> None of them are alowed, you can not make a BSD licence to
>> a LGPL or GMGPL ( at least not this one);
>>
> We were discussing about it in topic "Ada and licensing" - IMO he can
> apply BSD license to bindings (and only to them), but... it is
> useless, because original code is GPLed and future code which uses
> adaopengl bindings also should be GPL.

You completely lost me there, because some posts earlier in the thread
I find:

||| That's not a god idea since the original is a
||| BSD'style licens :-)

?

- Markus

* Re: AdaOpenGL and AdaMultimedia
@ 2007-09-22 15:08           ` Poul-Erik Andreasen
From: Poul-Erik Andreasen @ 2007-09-22 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tomek Wa kuski wrote:
> On 22 Wrz, 01:10, Poul-Erik Andreasen <poule...@pea.dk> wrote:
>> None of them are alowed, you can not make a BSD licence to
>> a LGPL or GMGPL ( at least not this one);
>>
> We were discussing about it in topic "Ada and licensing" - IMO he can
> apply BSD license to bindings (and only to them), but... it is
> useless, because original code is GPLed and future code which uses
> adaopengl bindings also should be GPL.

What original code. OpenGl is not piece of software it is an industrial
standart. If you are thinking at The Mesa libery, that is a mess of
different licencing, where some part are LPGL. But you dont need to use
Mesa at all. I for instance link to the libery provided by nvidia.

And most of the support liberies are under X-licence, so where are the
uselesness?

PEA

* Re: AdaOpenGL and AdaMultimedia
@ 2007-09-22 17:00             ` Tomek Wa kuski
From: Tomek Wa kuski @ 2007-09-22 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 Wrz, 17:08, Poul-Erik Andreasen <poule...@pea.dk> wrote:
> And most of the support liberies are under X-licence, so where are the
> uselesness?

OK, maybe it isn't useless :) but he can choose any license for his
bindings which is suitable for him.