* GtkAda for MacOS X?
@ 2004-08-30 12:31 Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2004-08-30 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is the status of GtkAda for MacOS X?

I am considering to buy a MacOS X based system as my next laptop, but
I depend on being able to develop small GUI applications that work on
Linux and MS Windows, so unless I can get GtkAda (or something
similar), MacOS X is not an option.

Jacob
--
"Science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out,
 but that is not the reason we are doing it"

* Re: GtkAda for MacOS X?
@ 2004-08-30 12:43 ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2004-08-30 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:31:53 +0200, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

> What is the status of GtkAda for MacOS X?
>
> I am considering to buy a MacOS X based system as my next laptop, but
> I depend on being able to develop small GUI applications that work on
> Linux and MS Windows, so unless I can get GtkAda (or something
> similar), MacOS X is not an option.

If MacOS X has a port of Gtk, then it should be fairly trivial to compile
GtkAda.

Luke.

* Re: GtkAda for MacOS X?
@ 2004-08-30 13:24   ` John B. Matthews
From: John B. Matthews @ 2004-08-30 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article
<pan.2004.08.30.12.43.58.131156@n_o_p_o_r_k_a_n_d_h_a_m.abyss2.d
emon.co.uk>,
 "Luke A. Guest"
 <laguest@n_o_p_o_r_k_a_n_d_h_a_m.abyss2.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:31:53 +0200, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
>
> > What is the status of GtkAda for MacOS X?
> >
> > I am considering to buy a MacOS X based system as my next laptop, but
> > I depend on being able to develop small GUI applications that work on
> > Linux and MS Windows, so unless I can get GtkAda (or something
> > similar), MacOS X is not an option.
>
> If MacOS X has a port of Gtk, then it should be fairly trivial to compile
> GtkAda.
>
> Luke.

There are several; I use DarwinPorts. Here's what I did:

http://www.wright.edu/~john.matthews/gtk/lady.html

You should also visit the MacAda and GtkAda home pages:

http://www.macada.org/macosx.html
http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/main.html

John
----
jmatthews at wright dot edu
www dot wright dot edu/~john.matthews/

* Re: GtkAda for MacOS X?
@ 2004-08-30 13:33     ` Eric Jacoboni
From: Eric Jacoboni @ 2004-08-30 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John B. Matthews" <nospam@nospam.com> writes:

> There are several; I use DarwinPorts. Here's what I did:
>
> http://www.wright.edu/~john.matthews/gtk/lady.html

Infortunately, this Gtkada doesn't works with current gtk2 packages for OS
X. For my own, i've downloaded the Gtkada CVS, then applied manually
the OS X patches. All builds fine, except the testgtk apps (examples
build fine, though).

--
�ric Jacoboni, n� il y a 1397316686 secondes

* Re: GtkAda for MacOS X?
@ 2004-08-31  2:37       ` James E. Hopper
From: James E. Hopper @ 2004-08-31  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have built gtkada from the gtkada sources that work fine with the
darwinports version of gtk2.  John Matthews and i both use it in our
work on os x.  Testgtk works fine for me including opengl.

i built our radar simulation gui's and  John and I build a simulation
of the army's Common Ground Station (A subset) using gtkada on Mac Os
X.  they use a pretty big subset of gtkada.  Nice thing about it is
that the target platform for all of these is linux, and all i have to
do is copy them across and recompile them.  no fuss, no muss.

jim

* Re: GtkAda for MacOS X?
@ 2004-08-31  3:54       ` John B. Matthews
From: John B. Matthews @ 2004-08-31  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m2k6vgiwcs.fsf@mac.scrogneugneu.org>,
 Eric Jacoboni <jaco@neottia.net> wrote:

> "John B. Matthews" <nospam@nospam.com> writes:
>
> > There are several; I use DarwinPorts. Here's what I did:
> >
> > http://www.wright.edu/~john.matthews/gtk/lady.html
>
> Infortunately, this Gtkada doesn't works with current gtk2 packages for OS
> X. For my own, i've downloaded the Gtkada CVS, then applied manually
> the OS X patches. All builds fine, except the testgtk apps (examples
> build fine, though).

As Jim Hopper has observed elsewhere, the Makefile for testgtk
specifies compilation with -O2. On some platforms, I've had to
compile the odd failing package with no optimization.

John
----

@ 2004-08-31  7:46 ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2004-08-31  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@nbi.dk> wrote:

> I am considering to buy a MacOS X based system as my next laptop, but

If you're just looking for an Apple than you can also install Linux
on it thus giving you the usual environment with GTK, GtkAda and
so on.

Dualboot is possible but you can also run OSX under Linux, it's
called MoL (Mac on Linux). So your OSX is just another window
inside your X-Window-System.

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Das Sterben wird nur halb so schlimm, rauchst du KIM.

* Re: GtkAda for MacOS X?
@ 2004-08-31  9:34         ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2004-08-31  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

James E. Hopper wrote:

> I have built gtkada from the gtkada sources that work fine with the
> darwinports version of gtk2.  John Matthews and i both use it in our
> work on os x.  Testgtk works fine for me including opengl.
>
> i built our radar simulation gui's and John and I build a simulation
> of the army's Common Ground Station (A subset) using gtkada on Mac
> Os X.  they use a pretty big subset of gtkada.  Nice thing about it
> is that the target platform for all of these is linux, and all i
> have to do is copy them across and recompile them.  no fuss, no
> muss.

Thanks for the encouraging report of your experience.  Hopefully I'll
have an iBook next week. :-)

Jacob
--
�What fun is it being "cool" if you can't wear a sombrero?�

* Re: GtkAda for MacOS X?
@ 2004-08-31 12:44   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-08-31 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Knoth <adi@thur.de> wrote:

: Dualboot is possible but you can also run OSX under Linux, it's
: called MoL (Mac on Linux). So your OSX is just another window
: inside your X-Window-System.

Only OS, not OSX they say.

-- Georg