From: Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid>
Subject: Re: Any Suggestion How To Accomplish A Debug Macro?
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 00:17:22 +0200
Date: 2015-01-03T00:17:22+02:00	[thread overview]

On 15-01-02 23:52 , Randy Brukardt wrote:
> "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 21:37:47 +0100, J-P. Rosen wrote:
>> However, it would be interesting to consider how tracing could be better
>> supported. I mean options:

   [snip]

>> 2. Ideas for the compilation units structure modification which would
>> allow
>> to have tracing code physically separated from the functional code.
>
> We've considered such ideas in the context of assertions, but nothing
> proposed really looked like a proper part of Ada.

Just a comment that this idea is approaching "aspect-oriented
programming", AOP, which promised to be a radically new way to structure
programs, as important as procedural abstraction. ("Aspect" here does
not mean the same as in the Ada RM; see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_%28computer_programming%29.)

In this case, the tracing would be its own aspect of the program's
functionality, specified and implemented separately from the other
"real" functionality.

It appears that, unfortunately, AOP was not as useful, or not as easy to
design into programming languages, as was hoped, and the field seems to
be not very active currently.

I found AOP an interesting idea because it feels like an intermediate or
hybrid between procedural/imperative programming and declarative
programming. AOP thus supports the Ada philosophy of favouring static
descriptions/declarations of problem domain concepts, over dynamic
coding, but on the other hand the implicit and automatic invocation of
aspect operations, that is typical of AOP, may not be attractive for the
safety-critical domain.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd