From: newsflash.concordia.ca!nstn.ns.ca!cffs@uunet.uu.net  (Doug Brown)
Subject: Re: PC Ada compiler wanted for University
Date: 16 Jun 93 12:40:36 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1993Jun15.105120.17286@waikato.ac.nz> pdenize@waikato.ac.nz writes:

  <Stuff deleted>

>Can anyone recommend any other reasonable Ada compilers with perhaps
>Site/Tertiary Licences.

  We have just puchased the Alsys 386 v5.0.  I believe the regular price is
$US 3000 a lisence.  With Academic discount, the price dropped to $US 170
without documentation ($250 with documentation) a lisence.

 We have used version 4.3 of this compiler for over two years and have not
had any problems with students.  Alsys's command line interface is outdated,
but it is a robust compiler.  One other minor complaint, the compiler is
able to detect several conditions that will cause programmes to abort, (such
as " Some_Number : interger range 1..100 := 101; " , which students all seem
to try at least once) appropriate warning messages are inserted in the list
file, but there is no indication given that the warnings were added.

 Overall we have been happy with the performance of this compiler.

Doug Brown
cffs@fox.nstn.ns.ca