From: Mehdi Saada <00120260a@gmail.com>
Subject: Exception_Occurence and language designers
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 03:17:20 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2017-12-04T03:17:20-08:00	[thread overview]

Curiously I find very interesting details of the norm, the inner working. Maybe I have a vocation of language lawyer ?
This time it's about exceptions.

Why have created both Exception_Identity and Exception_Occurence, often for the same subprograms ?
Especially, about Exception_Occurence:
Was it that the designers wanted to maintain compatibility, rather than breaking the last system and implementing something syntaxically closer to "subtype/type File_Not_found is Exception/new Exception; Not_Found_Error: File_Not_Found", a system closer to the type/subtype/instance model, but for exceptions ? Has it been thought about at one time ? To me it seems the Exception_Occurence'name declaration below, looks a lot like an object declaration, the exception Fine_Not_Found being a type.
Not the first case I thought it could be nicer to syntaxic constructs, rather than relying on predefined libraries (as with "controlled") ?

    when Not_Found_Error : File_Not_Found =>  Text_IO.Put_Line(Exceptions.Exception_Message(Not_Found_Error));