* List Sorting
@ 2004-07-30 12:06 Papa Hemingway
From: Papa Hemingway @ 2004-07-30 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.  Does anyone have any examples of this -- maintaining the list order
directly without using search algorithms afterwards?  I'm looking to add RECORD
items to a list and maintain the latter ORDERED.

Thanks!

* Re: List Sorting
@ 2004-07-30 13:12 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2004-07-30 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Papa Hemingway" <DaddyH@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.  Does anyone have any examples of this -- maintaining the list
order
> directly without using search algorithms afterwards?  I'm looking to add
RECORD
> items to a list and maintain the latter ORDERED.

It's in your textbook under "Lists, Insertion Into".

Marc A. Criley
McKae Technologies
www.mckae.com

* Re: List Sorting
@ 2004-07-30 16:18   ` Papa Hemingway
From: Papa Hemingway @ 2004-07-30 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

>"Papa Hemingway" <DaddyH@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello.  Does anyone have any examples of this -- maintaining the list
>order
>> directly without using search algorithms afterwards?  I'm looking to add
>RECORD
>> items to a list and maintain the latter ORDERED.
>
>It's in your textbook under "Lists, Insertion Into".
>
>Marc A. Criley
>McKae Technologies
>www.mckae.com

Has someone recently forced you to wear a woman's underwear over your head?

* Re: List Sorting
@ 2004-07-30 19:05     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-07-30 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Papa Hemingway wrote:

>>"Papa Hemingway" <DaddyH@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.  Does anyone have any examples of this -- maintaining the list
>>order
>>> directly without using search algorithms afterwards?  I'm looking to add
>>RECORD
>>> items to a list and maintain the latter ORDERED.
>>
>>It's in your textbook under "Lists, Insertion Into".
>>
>>Marc A. Criley
>>McKae Technologies
>>www.mckae.com
>

> Has someone recently forced you to wear a woman's underwear over your
> head?

He probably thought you are a student trying to have us solve his homework.
We don't do that. We help you along but not more.

However, if you are not I would suggest you just download the booch
components. The ordered containers should solve your problem.

http://www.pogner.demon.co.uk/components/bc

With Regards

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: List Sorting
@ 2004-07-30 19:52 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2004-07-30 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Papa Hemingway" <DaddyH@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello.  Does anyone have any examples of this -- maintaining the list
order
> directly without using search algorithms afterwards?  I'm looking to add
RECORD
> items to a list and maintain the latter ORDERED.

This sounds like a homework problem. We don't do people's homework for them.

If it's not a homework problem, you should explain in a bit more detail what
it is that you're trying to do. Without that information, all I can do is
suggest that you don't worry about it and use a container to do the dirty
work, like the Sorted_Sets container that will be part of Ada 200Y. (There
is a reference implementation available at
   http://charles.tigris.org/source/browse/charles/src/ai302/

     Randy.

* Re: List Sorting
@ 2004-07-30 20:06     ` Mark H Johnson
From: Mark H Johnson @ 2004-07-30 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Papa Hemingway wrote:
>>"Papa Hemingway" <DaddyH@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> [snip - apparent request for homework help]
 >>> [though I could be wrong...]

>>It's in your textbook under "Lists, Insertion Into".
>>
> Has someone recently forced you to wear a woman's underwear over your head?

You may find that some readers of comp.lang.ada expect students to do
this kind of research on their own. Rude replies such as the one above
is not likely going to get you further help as well. An apology to Marc
may be helpful. But since this appears to be a first time inquiry, I'll
provide you a hint. For example, a quick search using google:
   ada source code list insertion
or
   ada source code insertion sort

would find sites such as:
   http://www.diversedev.com/misc.php
which has a variety of source code programs in Ada (and in this case,
other languages) which include some code (or design for code) that you
can adapt for your use.

   --Mark

* Re: List Sorting
@ 2004-07-31 17:10   ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-07-31 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote in message
> "Papa Hemingway" <DaddyH@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello.  Does anyone have any examples of this -- maintaining the list
> order
> > directly without using search algorithms afterwards?  I'm looking to add
> RECORD
> > items to a list and maintain the latter ORDERED.
>
> This sounds like a homework problem. We don't do people's homework for
them.

> If it's not a homework problem, you should explain in a bit more detail
what
> it is that you're trying to do. Without that information, all I can do is
> suggest that you don't worry about it and use a container to do the dirty
> work, like the Sorted_Sets container that will be part of Ada 200Y. (There
> is a reference implementation available at
>    http://charles.tigris.org/source/browse/charles/src/ai302/

You'll need an Ada0Y compiler to use that version and I don't know of many
of those kicking around yet! :-)

If you email me direct, I can supply you with an Ada95 version of this
package. Or, if you can wait, it'll get put up on my web site sometime this
weekend hopefully.

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: List Sorting
@ 2004-07-31 19:11     ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-07-31 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie wrote:
> You'll need an Ada0Y compiler to use that version and I don't know of
> many of those kicking around yet! :-)
>
> If you email me direct, I can supply you with an Ada95 version of this
> package. Or, if you can wait, it'll get put up on my web site
> sometime this weekend hopefully.

Ok - that's the web site updated to include Matt's patch for Ordered_Sets.