* GNAT 2009 and C++
@ 2009-10-02  7:16 Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2009-10-02  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

The GNAT GPL 2009 from the Libre site does not seem to include the g++
compiler, only gcc is provided. As a result it is not possible to link
a complete program from components written in both Ada and C++.
Well, at least this is not possible on Max OS X, where after setting
up the GNAT 2009 environment the following commands:

$ gcc --version
$ g++ --version

give different numbers (the first comes from the GNAT distribution and
overrides the standard compiler and the other one is still the
standard system version).

The distribution from macada.org contains both g++ and gcc compilers
and the above problem does not appear.

Do other GNAT 2009 users consider it to be a problem?

If yes, would it be possible to include a consistent C++ compiler in
the GNAT distribution as well?
(this is a question to AdaCore, of course ;-) )

--
Maciej Sobczak * www.msobczak.com * www.inspirel.com

Database Access Library for Ada: www.inspirel.com/soci-ada

* Re: GNAT 2009 and C++
@ 2009-10-02 16:30 ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2009-10-02 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 2, 12:16 am, Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The GNAT GPL 2009 from the Libre site does not seem to include the g++
> compiler, only gcc is provided. As a result it is not possible to link
> a complete program from components written in both Ada and C++.
> Well, at least this is not possible on Max OS X, where after setting
> up the GNAT 2009 environment the following commands:
>
> $ gcc --version
> $ g++ --version
>
> give different numbers (the first comes from the GNAT distribution and
> overrides the standard compiler and the other one is still the
> standard system version).
>
> The distribution from macada.org contains both g++ and gcc compilers
> and the above problem does not appear.
>
> Do other GNAT 2009 users consider it to be a problem?
>
> If yes, would it be possible to include a consistent C++ compiler in
> the GNAT distribution as well?
> (this is a question to AdaCore, of course ;-) )

I got exact the same version on both Windows(MinGW) and Red Hat. One
interesting note is that the result of 'gcc --version' command is not
exact the same as 'gcc -v' command. In fact, when using command g++ --
version, the result is:

$ g++ --version
g++.exe (GCC) 4.3.4 20090511 for GNAT GPL 2009 (20090511)
See your AdaCore support agreement for details of warranty and
support.
If you do not have a current support agreement, then there is
absolutely
no warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.

However, if command 'g++ -v' is used, the result is quite different as
shown:

$ g++ -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i686-pc-mingw32
Configured with: /pristina.b/gnatmail/release-gpl/build-pristina/src/
configure -
-prefix=/gnat-prefix --with-build-time-tools=/pristina.b/gnatmail/
release-gpl/bu
ild-pristina/obj --with-gmp=/pristina.b/gnatmail/release-gpl/build-
pristina/libm
pfr/install --with-mpfr=/pristina.b/gnatmail/release-gpl/build-
pristina/libmpfr/
install --build=i686-pc-mingw32 --enable-languages=c,ada,c++ --disable-
nls --wit
hout-libiconv-prefix --disable-libada --enable-checking=release --
enable-threads
=win32 --disable-sjlj-exceptions --with-
bugurl=URL:mailto:report@adacore.com
Thread model: win32
gcc version 4.3.4 20090511 for GNAT GPL 2009 (20090511) (GCC)

Anh Vo

* Re: GNAT 2009 and C++
@ 2009-10-02 21:15   ` Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2009-10-02 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2 Paź, 18:30, Anh Vo <anhvofrc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I got exact the same version on both Windows(MinGW) and Red Hat.

> $ g++ --version
> g++.exe (GCC) 4.3.4 20090511 for GNAT GPL 2009 (20090511)

This line suggests that you got the g++ compiler with your GNAT
distribution.
Why is it not included with the Mac OS X version?

--

@ 2009-10-03  8:09   ` Dirk Heinrichs
From: Dirk Heinrichs @ 2009-10-03  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anh Vo wrote:

> I got exact the same version on both Windows(MinGW) and Red Hat. One
> interesting note is that the result of 'gcc --version' command is not
> exact the same as 'gcc -v' command.

This has always been the case for GCC. -v is _not_ a shortcut for --version.

Bye...

	Dirk

* Re: GNAT 2009 and C++
@ 2009-10-04 19:53   ` Gene
From: Gene @ 2009-10-04 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 2, 12:30 pm, Anh Vo <anhvofrc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 2, 12:16 am, Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homep...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > The GNAT GPL 2009 from the Libre site does not seem to include the g++
> > compiler, only gcc is provided. As a result it is not possible to link
> > a complete program from components written in both Ada and C++.
> > Well, at least this is not possible on Max OS X, where after setting
> > up the GNAT 2009 environment the following commands:
>
> > $ gcc --version
> > $ g++ --version
>
> > give different numbers (the first comes from the GNAT distribution and
> > overrides the standard compiler and the other one is still the
> > standard system version).
>
> > The distribution from macada.org contains both g++ and gcc compilers
> > and the above problem does not appear.
>
> > Do other GNAT 2009 users consider it to be a problem?
>
> > If yes, would it be possible to include a consistent C++ compiler in
> > the GNAT distribution as well?
> > (this is a question to AdaCore, of course ;-) )
>
> I got exact the same version on both Windows(MinGW) and Red Hat. One
> interesting note is that the result of 'gcc --version' command is not
> exact the same as 'gcc -v' command. In fact, when using command g++ --
> version, the result is:
>
> $ g++ --version
> g++.exe (GCC) 4.3.4 20090511 for GNAT GPL 2009 (20090511)
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
> See your AdaCore support agreement for details of warranty and
> support.
> If you do not have a current support agreement, then there is
> absolutely
> no warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> PURPOSE.
>
> However, if command 'g++ -v' is used, the result is quite different as
> shown:
>
> $ g++ -v
> Using built-in specs.
> Target: i686-pc-mingw32
> Configured with: /pristina.b/gnatmail/release-gpl/build-pristina/src/
> configure -
> -prefix=/gnat-prefix --with-build-time-tools=/pristina.b/gnatmail/
> release-gpl/bu
> ild-pristina/obj --with-gmp=/pristina.b/gnatmail/release-gpl/build-
> pristina/libm
> pfr/install --with-mpfr=/pristina.b/gnatmail/release-gpl/build-
> pristina/libmpfr/
> install --build=i686-pc-mingw32 --enable-languages=c,ada,c++ --disable-
> nls --wit
> hout-libiconv-prefix --disable-libada --enable-checking=release --
> enable-threads
> =win32 --disable-sjlj-exceptions --with-
> bugurl=URL:mailto:rep...@adacore.com
> Thread model: win32
> gcc version 4.3.4 20090511 for GNAT GPL 2009 (20090511) (GCC)

-v is the short version of --verbose , not --version.