* FORTRAN Translation to Ada
@ 1995-01-03 19:55 Alexy V. Khrabrov
From: Alexy V. Khrabrov @ 1995-01-03 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm working on a system which translates FORTRAN to other
high-level languages (HLL), first to Ada.  I need a well-documented
code for various stages of FORTRAN parsing, transformation,
and producing equivalent code in Pascal-type languages.
If there are FORTRAN developers with compiler-related experience,
I'd appreciate the following topics-related information:

FORTRAN Compilers Available with their Source Code

Documentation on the internal representation of FORTRAN
in public-available Compilers, comprehensive description
of their internal workings

Developer's experience with the renowned f2c system in
the above spirit--exact role of each file, hints on
where transformations are made better, all kind of knowledge
necessary for modification of it targeting another language

FORTRAN to Ada efforts, and reusable components if any

My Ada friends: do you know of good reusable components
for compiler-related works like FORTRAN to Ada translation?
FORTRAN 77 with normal extensions is assumed, but any
translation systems in Ada are of big interest.

        Alexy V. Khrabrov <khrabrov@cccc.com>
        ``Age Quod Agis'' (Do what you're doing.)

* Re: FORTRAN Translation to Ada
@ 1995-01-04  1:13 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1995-01-04  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

One obvious place to look is the GCC Fortran compiler

* Re: FORTRAN Translation to Ada
@ 1995-01-09 23:12 ` Chuck Hoffman
From: Chuck Hoffman @ 1995-01-09 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3eca34$fr6@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>, alexy@belknap.dartmouth.edu
(Alexy V. Khrabrov) wrote:

> I'm working on a system which translates FORTRAN to other
> high-level languages (HLL), first to Ada.  I need a well-documented
> code for various stages of FORTRAN parsing, transformation,
> and producing equivalent code in Pascal-type languages.
> If there are FORTRAN developers with compiler-related experience,
> I'd appreciate the following topics-related information:
>
> FORTRAN Compilers Available with their Source Code
>
> Documentation on the internal representation of FORTRAN
> in public-available Compilers, comprehensive description
> of their internal workings
>
> Developer's experience with the renowned f2c system in
> the above spirit--exact role of each file, hints on
> where transformations are made better, all kind of knowledge
> necessary for modification of it targeting another language
>
> FORTRAN to Ada efforts, and reusable components if any
>
> My Ada friends: do you know of good reusable components
> for compiler-related works like FORTRAN to Ada translation?
> FORTRAN 77 with normal extensions is assumed, but any
> translation systems in Ada are of big interest.
>
>         Alexy V. Khrabrov <khrabrov@cccc.com>
>         ``Age Quod Agis'' (Do what you're doing.)

Alexy

Not to be discouraging but ....

An company called Lexeme ( old address: Suite 250, commerce Court, Four
Station Square, Pittsburgh, PA - Phone (412) 281 5454 ) tried this in the
1985 - 1986 time frame. They were partially sucessful in that their
translator would convert Fortran'77 syntax to Ada syntax.  Unfortunately
the result -- which I'll call Adatran -- was worse (in terms of
understandibility ) than the Fortran that they stated with!  The true
power of the Ada language was completely ignored.  Our company contracted
Lexeme for a 'proof of concept' program translating a 40,000 SLOC Orbital
Analysis program to Ada.  The results were so discourraging that we
canceled the contract.

You might try contacting Lexeme although I think they are out of business
now. There was an article published in the September 23, 1985 issue of
'Electronics' titled 'AI tools Automate Software Translation' that I
suggest you read.  My experience with software translators has been
uniformly poor ( except maybe limited to the module or subroutine level).

Chuck Hoffman
Software Engineer
ReSoft, Inc.

Chuck Hoffman            Barrios Technology, Inc.         Ph:(713)280-1831
cbh@popeye.jsc.nasa.gov                                  Fax:(713)280-1903