From: berndtrog@yahoo.com (Bernd Trog)
Subject: Re: GNAT (gcc-3.3) on AVR microcontrolers, need help for compiler debugging
Date: 18 Nov 2002 08:14:50 -0800
Date: 2002-11-18T16:14:50+00:00	[thread overview]

rolf.ebert@gmx.net (Rolf Ebert) wrote in message
> I have managed to get my first Ada program running on an AVR
> microcontroler just tonight!  I simply reads out the keys pressed and
> shows the corresponding LEDs on my STK-500 board.
[..]
> The easy part was the setup of a cross-compiler on Linux/GNU, although
> it took me quite some time to find a working set of gcc, binutil, and
> libc sources.

Good! Please tell us which versions of gcc,binutil,etc works for you!

> Anyway, I now need a helping hand who knows a bit about the GNAT
> internals.  The compiler dies quite often (e.g. when using Integer,
> when not inlining assembler code, sometimes when compiling child
> units, etc).  I'd like to get at least some of them fixed.

Well, Denis Chertykov <denisc@overta.ru> is the author of the avr-backend - but
he is quite busy :(

But he wrote me he will fix GNAT related bugs in his
gcc-backend(gcc/config/avr/avr.c)

The problem is to find out if a bug is located in the frontend or the backend.
Note, that the frontend has only be used for 16-32(64?) bit CPUs, AFAIK.

> Who is willing to exchange some email with me and point me to
> interessing locations in the GNAT sources?

I did some very small tests with Ada on AVR - but failed to get a
working 'for' loop :-/

gcc@gcc.gnu.org migth be a better place to discuss GNAT internals.

Bernd