* RE: BORLAND ADA
@ 1995-02-27  4:18 Michael Hagerty
From: Michael Hagerty @ 1995-02-27  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 Feb 1995, David M  Tannen posted to All:

DT> Although I will use GNAT for any OS/2 development I might do in the
  > future, I will be using Delphi for my MS-Windows development until an
  > Ada vendor can match the Delphi toolset and at their price.

Ha ha ha ha....  I have not spoken with an Ada vendor who is even aware of
the gap between their products and Delphi, much less the size of that gap...

DT> Hopefully the Ada/Windows vendors get the point that there are folks who
  > will use their tools if they priced them at a reasonable amount.  I do a
  > lot of short term consulting and many of my clients want portable and
  > maintainable solutions; but they are not willing to pay thousands of
  > dollars for tools (and neither am I).  One client is willing to live
  > within the Windows world and has a lot of BP code so Delphi fits the
  > bill.  But they would like to also goto  OS/2 one day, and right now the
  > only reasonable solution I can make is C++ (blech).

I beat up on the Borland people at SD '95 on the issue of OS/2.  BP 7.0 had
a series of patches developed in Germany to make the executables generated
by the compiler work under 16-bit OS/2.  Apparently there is only a header
table difference between 16-bit OS/2 and Windoze 3.1.  Maybe the creative
coder in Germany can come up with an interim solution so we do not have to
step back to C++.

DT> So Mr. Vendor if you have a solution for Windows and OS/2 that provides
  > a visual environment (see Delphi) and a database engine (see Delphi) or
  > a really good set of libraries for a database engine (see TurboPower's
  > B-Tree Filer) for ~$500 per seat send me a note.

I see your inbasket is going to be empty for some time to come..

Regards, Mikey

<michael.hagerty@nitelog.com> PGP Key available on popular servers
1024 Fingerprint = 56 12 CF A9 0E 53 A4 C4 49 F2 AF E7 F1 D3 47 5F
2047 Fingerprint = A2 96 BD 54 AD C2 76 C2 C7 B0 F1 C7 E2 4E 1E 80
---
 � MR/2 2.2 � Don't use force; use a bigger hammer.

* Re: RE: BORLAND ADA
@ 1995-02-28  3:26 Jean D. Ichbiah
From: Jean D. Ichbiah @ 1995-02-28  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3is0gk$q4q@news1.delphi.com> tmoran@bix.com writes:
>From: tmoran@bix.com
>Subject: RE: BORLAND ADA
>Date: 27 Feb 1995 07:55:00 GMT

>What is OWL? a thick Windows binding?  Where is a description in
>more detail than an ad but cheaper than buying it. ;)

If you want the level one description, you  have just given it. It is
an abstraction layer that  is much higher than the Microsoft
Foundation Classes (themselves a little higher than the Windows
API).

For the level  2 description, you will need to invest a few hours
so you  may as well get a book on the subject or the Borland
Pascal compiler.

Jean D. Ichbiah

* RE: BORLAND ADA
@ 1995-02-27  7:55 tmoran