From: "Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Feasibility/Requirements/Wishes of xAL (was: Standard Library Interest?)
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:58:32 GMT
Date: 2003-10-13T09:58:32+00:00	[thread overview]

"Robert I. Eachus" <rieachus@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:3F89F96F.5050003@comcast.net...

> I don't want the (possibly volunteer) developers spending all their time
> dealing with naming issues--which as I pointed out can include trademark
> and copyright issues.  That is the stuff that formal standards
> committees can be good at.  Look at all the chaos caused by AdaPower
> once the site was no longer maintained.  Having an authority to resolve
> naming disputes is very helpful when it comes time to clear the
underbrush.

*** Indeed it can get very complicated to manage those trademark and
copyright issues and as for naming, I can imagine for example
- Format as a Text Formatting string
- Format as an OS service to format a floppy drive or hard drive
- Format as Method of an object that produces an output.

All three with trademarks ;-).   How much coffee would be needed to resolve
that one? ;-). In our library, provided these 3 situations are in 3 branches
of our Tree or at least in 3 ramifications of the same branch, there would
be no conflicts right?

Another situation I wonder about.  Let's say GtkAda is registered already
along with it's hiearchy of libraries that form the GtkAda Project.  Then I
decide to add to that library (say a series of controls for a Music studio
software, like knobs, led indicators, mixer slider controls, etc etc). and I
want those registered in the library.  Who would be making the decision?
GtkAda, the committee, would I need to put it elsewhere in the tree, would
every big library like GtkAda need to have a "contributions" branch under it
for this kind of addition?

> But again, as I said, it is useless without a group of developers who
> want to do things right.  With active developers using it, it becomes
> one of those committees where the chair does several hours of work a
> week.  Everyone else on the committee does a couple hours of work every
> three or four months, when the chairperson actually needs the committee
> to make an official decision.

*** Are you saying that it would take 3 or 4 months to reach a decision for
every issue?  or that every 3 or 4 months, the committee would take every in
the past 3 or 4 months and resolve them?

--
St�phane Richard
"Ada World" Webmaster