From: Adam Beneschan <adam@irvine.com>
Subject: Re: Any Ada in this? Or would Ada have helped Toyota save $2b?...
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 12:05:47 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2010-02-04T12:05:47-08:00	[thread overview]

On Feb 4, 8:58 am, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> On Feb 4, 4:14 pm, Adam Beneschan <a...@irvine.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 4, 4:47 am, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
> > >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8497471.stm
>
> > > It's states that this is a software problem but doesn't give
> > > details...anyone know anything about this?
>
> > (1) the linked article is mostly about flaws in the braking system, which has
> > not yet cost Toyota anywhere near $2B;
>
> It's the figure quoted for lost revenue in the paragraph "Profits
> Surge".

The $2B loss stems from its "worldwide recall of potentially faulty
vehicles".  Most of that has to do with *acceleration* (including
possibly faulty floor mats that trap the gas pedal), not the braking
system.  Actually, I don't think there have been any recalls yet due
braking system problems.

Yannick pointed out that an earlier version of the article did mention
a possible software problem involving the braking system.  However,
this could not have led to the big loss, since the braking system
hasn't cost them much so far.  As for the acceleration, which *has*
cost them a whole lot, I haven't seen anything that positively says
it's a software problem.  To my mind, it could well be a software
problem, but I haven't read about anyone suspecting that (not to the
same extent that some suspect a software problem with the brakes).
There have been theories that the "electronics" is a problem, but that
would include hardware.

                                  -- Adam