From: Cedric Lannock <Cedric.Lannock@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Building a new OS using Ada
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 21:50:15 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2009-02-11T21:50:15-08:00	[thread overview]

> > Each single individual has only a small brain with a very simple
> > program but hooking them together by exchanging pheromones when
> > touching they can make complex decision within their swarm. We could
> > make it similar when developing a new OS.
>
> As a common rule, a trust is a vulnerability.
>
> The only exclusion I can see is F2F darknets, where every peer owner
> knows owners of neighbour peers (and this isn't necessarily transitive).
>
> You could experiment with F2F at the moment. No need to wait a new OS.
>
> As RIAA shuts down torrent trackers and dc++ hubs, people are more and
> more interested in preserving their life style. F2F is the answer.
> Finally, there is no server. Just people's computers and nothing else.
>
> You'd have hard time describing f2f benefits for those who haven't used
> p2p, but p2p is nowadays not uncommon.

f2f is a concept that looks at different computers hooked to a
network. With regard to system theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Systems_theory) this concept could also be used inside the OS.
If on a computer only the OS is installed, the OS could look for
components needed to fulfill a certain task on other computers it
knows. These components could be used if trusted.

But there is another aspect in this context: If the components of the
OS or other Apps are stored distributedly somewhere in the net then
the hole systems relies on the connection to this computers. To handle
this the OS could store a list of computers of which it knows that a
certain component is available there. When a certain component is
needed the OS could query the computers in its list. Each time it
queries this computer it could add a success counter to the computers
address in its list. If the computer is not available it tracks it by
reducing the counter. If the first computer is not available it tries
the next in its list. Doing this it has a list of trusted and
available computers I can rely on. Furthermore the computer cells
within this internet organism could query the lists of available and
trusted computers and if the computer queried is trusted it could copy
the list for its own work.

Having such a concept in place the installation of an application
would result in building lists of computers for the components needed.

But there should be the possibility to store some or all components
locally in case the internet is not available. The user should be
allowed to choose how he/she would like to work.

But how to distribute a new OS to the users?
As the kernel could be comprised of only a few thousend lines of code
the OS is small enough to be distributed a worm. It could be
DISTRIBUTED as one but not BEHaVE as one. A littel GUI could pop up
and ask the user if it could be installed in parallel to the existing
OS. If the user agrees the current setup is stored and a boot loader
is installed making it possible to run the new OS out of the existing
partition. This boot loader should offer the opportunity to uninstall
the OS at any time and restore the formly setup completly.

Such a thing is only possible if the OS and all applications can be
stored distributed and if there is no need to install everything a one
machine.

Cedric