From: Jerry <lanceboyle@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: Cairo graphics library
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 16:26:22 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2011-08-12T16:26:22-07:00	[thread overview]

On Aug 11, 9:42 pm, Ada novice <yogeshwars...@gmx.com> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 12:27 am, Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:
>
> > Check out PLplot which has Ada bindings and a number of output
> > options.http://plplot.sourceforge.net/
> > Note that the Ada bindings have Ada-specific additions that make
> > PLplot super-easy to use for many common situations. See the Ada
> > section of the documentation:http://plplot.sourceforge.net/docbook-manual/plplot-html-5.9.8/ada.html
>
> Thanks but I have never been successful in making PLplot to work on
> Windows. The installation is too complicated for Windows. Question(s)
> that I asked on the PLplot forum did not get proper response. Perhaps
> in some future, the author will make the PLplot installation without
> any hassle like any other program should be.
>
> I will follow the evolution of PLplot though as it is powerful and its
> manual seems very comprehensive.
>
> Cheers
> YC

Agreed. Seems like I (we?) have had this conversation before. PLplot
is, from this Mac user's perspective, a nightmare to install. (And I'm
one of the developers!) I think this is probably a main reason that
limits PLplot. I suspect that the PLplot official answer is that it
has to be this way because it is supported on a vast array of
different systems and thus requires cmake and compiling from source in
all cases. Although I'm on the development team, my only function is
working with the Ada bindings--I don't understand most of what the
others do. Like you, I think that, at least on the major supported
systems, I should be able to download a single thing and run an
installer and be done, even if the installer has to download more
stuff.

Jerry