From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: Ada on Mac
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 03:53:59 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2008-09-30T03:53:59-07:00	[thread overview]

Martin Krischik wrote:
> Well my hope was to upstream to MacPorts in which case an MacPorts
> section would be needed - and then listing differences would be interesting.
>
> Currently GNU Ada is just staging area for a MacPosts version.
>
> However, my upstream patches where not received well:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/16549

I think you misunderstood ryandesign's objection about the bootstrap
compiler. He doesn't say you should not need a bootstrap compiler; he
says that if you do, then the port must download and install the
bootstrap compiler automatically before building (re-read his last
sentence).

Also, it would be nice if you considered an entirely new port called
gnat43 which does require (and install) the MacAda compiler, but uses
the same sources as gcc43. This is what Debian does: gcj, gpc, gdc and
gnat are separate from gcc for this very reason.

(I replied here because I can't figure out how to contribute to the
ticket directly).

[...]
> Once here truly is a MacPorts version the differences would be explained
> in the line of integration: MacAda aims to integrate GNAT with the
> existing Mac OS X development environment (read XCode) while MacPorts is
> about integrating Mac OS X with the rest of the Unix world (read
> "configure make install).

That's interesting. Could you elaborate on the practical consequences?

--
Ludovic Brenta.