From: Adam Beneschan <adam@irvine.com>
Subject: Re: Blocking syscalls in Tasks
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:06:48 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2008-09-30T11:06:48-07:00	[thread overview]

On Sep 30, 3:06 am, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
> Most people want to know about Ada-2005 not Ada-95, and the one and only
> vendor that supports the Ada-2005 is Adacore with GNAT.

Yeah, Randy, weren't you aware that as soon as the Ada 2005 standard
was officially finalized, all your customers immediately quit using
Janus/Ada since it's merely an Ada 95 compiler?  If they're still
bugging you with customer support questions, obviously it's just an
attempt to make you feel less lonely.  Or maybe they're all figments
of your imagination!

Sigh......

I'm not sure I can let this one go, though:

> As for Janus/Ada, IBM and other Ada compilers to most they
> are outdated.  Janus/Ada and other vendors have had time to
> rebuild there Ada system for XP, Vista and Linux using the
> Ada-2005 specs but for unknown reasons have chosen not too.

Might I suggest that part of the reason Janus/Ada has "chosen not too
[sic]" spend the time "rebuilding" their system for Ada 95 is that the
person most responsible for working on their compiler has also been
spending time doing things like helping create the Ada 2005 standard,
participating in discussions of how to improve it and fix problems,
maintaining the actual manual including the online version, and
developing the test suite, not to mention taking the time to deal with
my annoying nitpicks about the test suite and missing characters in
the online RM and stuff like that.  I realize he's not doing this
alone, but from my point of view he (along with others) have been
doing a tremendous amount of work, and (I'm sure) spending a
significant amount of time, making Ada 2005 possible so that punks
like you can benefit from it and then throw it back at him for not
upgrading the compiler as fast as you think it should be done and then
saying that his company "chose" not to support Ada 2005 "for unknown
reasons".

Please forgive my rant.  I normally don't get that heated.  But that
comment of yours is TOTALLY out of line.

                              -- Adam