From: Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid>
Subject: Re: Simp,e example for 2 tasks
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 21:16:14 +0300
Date: 2014-09-22T21:16:14+03:00	[thread overview]

On 14-09-22 20:48 , Jeffrey Carter wrote:
> On 09/22/2014 12:18 AM, Niklas Holsti wrote:
>>
>> Hmm... I don't quite agree with that. It seems to me that rendez-vous
>> interaction between tasks could be implemented in a distributed system,
>> as long as the entry parameters can be passed by value or by copy-in
>> copy-out. It is the global shared variables and reference parameters
>> that would make a distributed approach difficult for Ada programs using
>> such constructs. I don't know Erlang well enough to understand if it has
>> some solution for that, or if it simply forbids such things.
>
> Well, of course one can implement rendezvous between tasks in different
> partitions in a distributed system, since that's possible through the DSA.

I meant, rather, that an Ada RTS could have implemented distributed
rendez-vous without (and before) the DSA -- that the mere fact that
rendez-vous is synchronous does not mean that it cannot be distributed.
Of course the performance, in terms of latency, would be of a different
order than rendez-vous within tasks on the same core.

I'd bet that most distributed systems today communicate through
synchronously used, bidirectional, TCP request-reply streams, not
through asynchronous message-passing with long queues. But I include
web-based applications as distributed systems.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd