* Object format
@ 2004-05-06  9:54 Henrik Quintel
From: Henrik Quintel @ 2004-05-06  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everybody,
I am looking for a Ada95 compiler for DOS which produces an object file
format which is compatible with the one of the Borland C++ 4.5 Compiler.

Does anyone knows of that?

Thanks for all in advance.

Greetings Henrik

* Re: Object format
@ 2004-05-06 11:32 ` Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2004-05-06 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Henrik Quintel" <henrik.quintel@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hello everybody,
> I am looking for a Ada95 compiler for DOS which produces an object file
> format which is compatible with the one of the Borland C++ 4.5 Compiler.
>

> Does anyone knows of that?
>
> Thanks for all in advance.
>
> Greetings Henrik

Ok..I don't know enough about borland version numbers to know if you really
really mean DOS but
I suspect you do.

http://www.gnuada.org/dos.html

ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/private/old/ez2load/3.10/

Certainly runs under DOS. Not sure about compatibility with that particular
compiler.

If DJGPP releases a 3.4 compiler at some point (I think they are still 3.3.3
based) it might be worth a try as well.

* Re: Object format
@ 2004-05-06 13:33   ` Henrik Quintel
From: Henrik Quintel @ 2004-05-06 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

HI Jeff,
> Ok..I don't know enough about borland version numbers to know if you really
> really mean DOS but I suspect you do.
Yes, I mean DOS. The executable is a DOS Executable.
I have checked this with the debug command. I have installed
the ez2load 3.10 but gnatlink tells me:
"Unrecognized file format" if I link the both object files together.
I know that there is no problem if I make use of the Windows version of
GNAT because gcc/gnat produce the same file format. But I am forced to
make use of the Borland 4.51 DOS Compiler which produces DOS Executabels
and DOS object files respectively. So I need an Ada 95 DOS
Compiler/Linker which understand the output file format of Borland C++
4.51

Thanks for all.

Greetings Henrik

* Re: Object format
@ 2004-05-06 14:56     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-05-06 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Quintel <henrik.quintel@gmx.de> wrote:
: But I am forced to
: make use of the Borland 4.51 DOS Compiler which produces DOS Executabels
: and DOS object files respectively.

16bit?

* Re: Object format
@ 2004-05-06 17:42 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-05-06 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Henrik Quintel" <henrik.quintel@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hello everybody,
> I am looking for a Ada95 compiler for DOS which produces an object file
> format which is compatible with the one of the Borland C++ 4.5 Compiler.
>

> Does anyone knows of that?

You could try RR Software

http://www.rrsoftware.com/html/prodinf/janus95/pds/j95-32bd.htm

It costs but you may be able to get a discount

http://www.rrsoftware.com/html/companyinf/educ.htm

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: Object format
@ 2004-05-07 11:49       ` Henrik Quintel
From: Henrik Quintel @ 2004-05-07 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Georg,
"Georg Bauhaus" <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> wrote in message

> Henrik Quintel <henrik.quintel@gmx.de> wrote:
> : But I am forced to
> : make use of the Borland 4.51 DOS Compiler which produces DOS Executabels
> : and DOS object files respectively.
>
> 16bit?
Yes, 16 bit.

Greetings Henrik

* Re: Object format
@ 2004-05-07 13:06         ` Vinzent 'Gadget' Hoefler
From: Vinzent 'Gadget' Hoefler @ 2004-05-07 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Quintel wrote:

>Hi Georg,
>"Georg Bauhaus" <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> wrote in message
>
>> Henrik Quintel <henrik.quintel@gmx.de> wrote:
>> : But I am forced to
>> : make use of the Borland 4.51 DOS Compiler which produces DOS Executabels
>> : and DOS object files respectively.
>>
>> 16bit?
>Yes, 16 bit.

Bad luck. GNAT is a 32-bit-compiler, even under DOS. The object format
*must* be incompatible. But perhaps you can use djgpp instead of
Borland to compile the C(++)-files? djgpp is also based on gcc (BTW,
djgpp should be able to compile Ada these days, too), so chances are
that ez2load and djgpp have the same (or at least an easily
convertible) object file format.

Vinzent.

* Re: Object format
@ 2004-05-12 20:11         ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2004-05-12 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Henrik Quintel <henrik.quintel@gmx.de> wrote:
> > : But I am forced to
> > : make use of the Borland 4.51 DOS Compiler which produces DOS
Executabels
> > : and DOS object files respectively.
> >
> > 16bit?
> Yes, 16 bit.

The 16-bit version of Janus/Ada supportted Borland C compilers back in the
day. (It's still on one of my machines, because F-Prot thinks it's a virus!
:-)

We still sell the 16-bit Janus/Ada compilers (I believe you'd need the
professional version for this task). They host on DOS or Windows 95/987/ME.
(The DOS Extender doesn't work on NT/2K/XP, unfortunately.) See
www.rrsoftware.com or drop me a line.

                 Randy.