* Pocket PC
@ 2004-05-05 15:54 Yeric
From: Yeric @ 2004-05-05 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again,

I am trying to find any relevant info for developing for PocketPC 2002 and
other similar devices in Ada, I have found a few odds and ends for embedded
control systems, but nothing that relates to the consumer handheld devices.

Does such an Ada SDK exist ?

Yeric

* Re: Pocket PC
@ 2004-05-06 22:13 ` Wojtek Narczynski
From: Wojtek Narczynski @ 2004-05-06 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am trying to find any relevant info for developing for PocketPC 2002 and
> other similar devices in Ada, I have found a few odds and ends for embedded
> control systems, but nothing that relates to the consumer handheld devices.

We've been able to build GNAT crosscompiler for Sharp Zaurus, tasking
and everything was working (passing most ACATS). Zaurus is a nice
Linux based handheld on ARM / XScale. http://www.sharpusa.com/zaurus/
We never used it for anything commercial, though.

Regards,
Wojtek

* Re: Pocket PC
@ 2004-05-07 11:16   ` Yeric
From: Yeric @ 2004-05-07 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> We've been able to build GNAT crosscompiler for Sharp Zaurus, tasking
> and everything was working (passing most ACATS). Zaurus is a nice
> Linux based handheld on ARM / XScale. http://www.sharpusa.com/zaurus/
> We never used it for anything commercial, though.

Thanks for the help, considering Ada's great capability to to interface with
many other programming languages, does anyone think this may be feasible for
the future to alow development for Consumer handhelds/pocketPc.

Word on the street is that PocketPc's are going to have similar success to
laptops in the near future, and this is a huge market.

So far only M$ and Sun appear to have any type of SDK for these devices, M$
is in Visual Tools, and Sun of course is JME.

One gripe I do have with the public version of GNAT is that the
documentation seems to be very out of date, IMHO No documentation is better
than out of date useless documentation.

As an example the ug.html page in the docs, it nicley introduces GNAT and
GCC and then goes on in the next section to explain what appears to be a non
existent feature called glide, an ide and how to insert for loops via the
menu.

The only thing I can think of here is that they are either explaining an
older version of gide or that glide only exists on Unix, in which case it
might be more helpful to state this :)

Thanks for the help anyway

Yeric