From: Georg Bauhaus <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de>
Subject: Re: A couple of questions
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 08:55:35 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2004-05-02T08:55:35+00:00	[thread overview]

Yeric <NOSPAM@nospam.com> wrote:

: I am still however going to try and learn this other language, and
: since it is a well respected language in this group, I will name it as
: Eiffel.
:
: Why am I considering both and not just taking the good word of you all ?

Actually there are two ways to use both languages for writing a program.
One is .NET, the other uses the standard mechanisms for calling
external subprograms in either language.

: I understand this now, it was design by contract that I misunderstood
: thinking that it would handle external calls, but logically it cant I guess,

Oh it can. If programmers decide they know the outcome of calling
an external routine, the can say so in the contract.
After all, even without explicit DbC you have to specify the type of the
result and this is a contract item too.

There is an Ada Issue (288) discussing pragmas Pre_Assert,
Classwide_Pre_Assert, and Post_Assert for inclusion in the next
standard. They formalise DbC for future Ada programs.

The names have been changed from Precondition and Postcondition,
unfortunatly, falling short of customary Ada names' quality in my view.

-- Georg