From: "Yeric" <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com>
Subject: Re: A couple of questions
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 22:25:15 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2004-05-01T22:25:15+00:00	[thread overview]

> People who take the time to gather information before making a
> decision deserve respect.  There are few like you who understand that
> they will learn even from languages they finally dismiss.

Thank you

> I also evaluated Eiffel, and was impressed with it, before I finally
> decided I liked Ada better because Ada does not force object-oriented
> formalisms on those who don't need them, has more composition
> mechanisms than just inheritance, and provides range checking in the
> type system rather than contracts.  YMMV.  Good luck with your
> evaluation.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

YMMV ?

Yes I understand what you are saying about Eiffel, Ada seems to allow mixed
OO & non OO it is the programmers decision, but also makes sure the code is
safer regardles of the style(s) chosen.

I have not fully explored OO, but from my experience with Java, it somtimes
seemed awkward to use OO implementations, where a procedural non OO solution
seemed more natural.

Maybe choice is a good thing, and the programmer is still allowed to take
more control of the program without sacrificing safety.

From what I have seen of Ada and Eiffel syntax, it seems more natural to
write and read certainly more so than Java or C++, not that I am rubbishing
either language, it is just that they seem unatuaral if that makes sense?

There were times when writing in C++, that I could almost translate the
syntax into assembler in my mind while typing it, not that I know a great
deal of assembly language, but we were subjected to 8 weeks of it as part of
our understanding of computers and programming languages. It taught me a lot
but certainly not assembly language :)

Thanks agin for all the replies and help so far, I am in no doubt, that I
will be posting again, when the answers I find on google do not make as much
sense as the answers in this news group.

Yeric