From: "Yeric" <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com>
Subject: Re: A couple of questions
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 18:53:49 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2004-05-01T18:53:49+00:00	[thread overview]

> There is A# right now. And other bindings.

This is very encouraging :)

> Yes. I've been accompanying the revision process, and I like what I see
very
> much. A number of annoyances in Ada 95 will disapear, and the standard
> library is being updated with lots of really useful stuff. Actually I'm
> using Ada 2005 right now. Ask me how.

Ok I am asking How are you using Ada 2005 :)

> Some things are old, some are new. That's the nature of the Web. There are
> lot of projects being updated right now.

True, I got more upto date results from google using Ada95, unfortunately
when I first googled, I did not know much about Ada-83 and Ada95, infact I
only know of Ada because of my academic background, and my old tutor used to
speak very fondly of Ada I think he used to work for M.O.D in UK.

> The latest public version of GNAT, 3.15p, has been around for a lot of
time
> with no serious problem shown.

Ok so the old saying if it aint broke dont fix it

> The bug rate of Ada vs. the other mainstream languages (C, C++, Java) is
in
> the order of 1/10.

This is good to hear, I get very frustrated with C++ at times.

Classes I understand, and inheritence I understand the logic and it makes
sense for reuse, but I wonder how many classes are simply written for a
system specific task and never re-used?

 I can think of only 2 classes I created in C++ that I used regularly, and
only one of them was used to derive a new class and add a few features.

If I understand Ada syntaxt correctly, it does not use the Class notation
but uses notation package with a tagged type ?

> Be ready for the strongly typed language there is. Types are the heart and
> soul of Ada. Once you get the type system right, the procedural code
almost
> writes itself.

Good :)

> Then take a leap of faith, or more likely an informed decision from the
> answers you are getting here.

I did :) I am finding the syntaxt relatively easier to pick up and have
already sussed how code segments are arranged in files, in a nice logical
order, I am still however going to try and learn this other language, and
since it is a well respected language in this group, I will name it as
Eiffel.

Why am I considering both and not just taking the good word of you all ?

This is no disrespect to you people, and if it causes offence then I am
sorry, but I need to keep an open mind and use both, funnily the syntax of
Ada and Eiffel are similar ( Please note I said similar not the same or
better :) )

Then perhaps not decide which one is best, but maybe see how each one can
help me solve problems in the best way.

If it turns out that I can get by using just one ( very doubtful) then I
shall, but I doubt this is likely, I guess understanding more than one tool
will not make me an expert with either tool, but will broaden my knowledge
in the general programming world hopefully.

> For static calls yes. For data coming in from outside, of course you have
> check. For dynamic calls, sometimes it's wise to check or handle.

I understand this now, it was design by contract that I misunderstood
thinking that it would handle external calls, but logically it cant I guess,
how can you prempt the unknown, sorry this was my stupidity :)

> Yes. The most impressive graphical stuff I've seen is

This is encouraging also.

> GLADE is your friend.

Ah yes Glade, and AdaGTK, this just gets better :)

> There is a public, gratis, GNAT and GPS. If you need professional support
> ask ACT or another consultancy/consultant for the prices.

I am not sure I will need such services yet, but it is also encouraging to
see that it is used commercially.

> Strictly to learn Ada GNAT and a good book suffices. AdaGide, GPS, Emacs,
> Notepad are all good editors. I guess using Gwindows can help practicing,
> but you will not *learn* more *Ada* from there than just from using the
> standard libraries.

I understand this, I was just scoping what is available, for future