* Tasking diagram for SW Architecture document
@ 2001-10-12 14:57 Mark
From: Mark @ 2001-10-12 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm soliciting opinions (hopefully with some practical experience
behind them) on the notational presentation of a concurrency/tasking
diagram which would be used in a software architecture document for
real-time systems. It should be able to represent both OO and non-OO
(modular, Ada-based, etc) designs.

I've noticed that a variant of the UML collaboration diagram seems to
be popular in current publications. Although the folks at Artisan feel
that a DARTS type diagram is more expressive. We have already decided
to use UML static structure diagrams (OMG calls them "class diagrams")
showing UML packages for the logical view and deployment diagrams for
the deployment view.

I am particularly not concerned about CASE tool support for this
diagram since it will NOT be used for any code generation etc. Visio
or similar drawing tools would be fine for this. It is an
informational diagram for engineers.

  thanks

    Mark

* Re: Tasking diagram for SW Architecture document
@ 2001-10-15 15:56 ` Volkert Barr
From: Volkert Barr @ 2001-10-15 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark wrote:

> I'm soliciting opinions (hopefully with some practical experience
> behind them) on the notational presentation of a concurrency/tasking
> diagram which would be used in a software architecture document for
> real-time systems. It should be able to represent both OO and non-OO
> (modular, Ada-based, etc) designs.
>
> I've noticed that a variant of the UML collaboration diagram seems to
> be popular in current publications. Although the folks at Artisan feel
> that a DARTS type diagram is more expressive. We have already decided
> to use UML static structure diagrams (OMG calls them "class diagrams")
> showing UML packages for the logical view and deployment diagrams for
> the deployment view.
>
> I am particularly not concerned about CASE tool support for this
> diagram since it will NOT be used for any code generation etc. Visio
> or similar drawing tools would be fine for this. It is an
> informational diagram for engineers.
>
>   thanks
>
>     Mark
Look at www.artisansw.com. The Artisan Real Time Studio uses an
UML Subset with a few add ons for modelling realtime systems
(Interfacing Hardware, Concurrency Diagrams, ...) and code generation
for C, C++, Java and Ada.

Volkert

 Volkert Barr      Institut fuer Softwaretechnik und
                             Theoretische Informatik
             Fachgruppe Softwaretechnik *  TU Berlin

 email: barr@cs.tu-berlin.de
 web: www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~barr
          * macrosolutions to megaproblems *

* Re: Tasking diagram for SW Architecture document
@ 2001-10-15 15:58 ` Volkert Barr
From: Volkert Barr @ 2001-10-15 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark wrote:

> I'm soliciting opinions (hopefully with some practical experience
> behind them) on the notational presentation of a concurrency/tasking
> diagram which would be used in a software architecture document for
> real-time systems. It should be able to represent both OO and non-OO
> (modular, Ada-based, etc) designs.
>
> I've noticed that a variant of the UML collaboration diagram seems to
> be popular in current publications. Although the folks at Artisan feel
> that a DARTS type diagram is more expressive. We have already decided
> to use UML static structure diagrams (OMG calls them "class diagrams")
> showing UML packages for the logical view and deployment diagrams for
> the deployment view.
>
> I am particularly not concerned about CASE tool support for this
> diagram since it will NOT be used for any code generation etc. Visio
> or similar drawing tools would be fine for this. It is an
> informational diagram for engineers.
>
>   thanks
>
>     Mark
Sorry for my mail. I read your posting not carefully enough :-(