* Documentation Standards
@ 2001-08-16  4:10 John R. Strohm
From: John R. Strohm @ 2001-08-16  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Back in the Middle Ages of military software development, we had
DOD-STD-2167A and all the related Data Item Descriptions.  It used to be
possible to go out on the Web and download a full set of same, or you could
get it from your friendly neighborhood company specifications and standards
library.  (I went through that exercise, a few times, with MIL-STD-1679,
DOD-STD-2167, and DOD-STD-2167A.)

Last I heard, DOD-STD-2167A had been dropped, and the successor project,
DOD-STD-SDS, was terminated, with the idea being instead to use equivalent
commercial specification standards.

Does anyone know what the "equivalent" standards are, and where I can scrape
up a set, and how much it will cost me?  ("Free" is a very good answer: this
is something I'm doing on my own, rather than something my employer wants me
to spend time and money doing.)

Alternatively, if anyone can point me at a bootleg site with the full set
for DOD-STD-2167A, i.e., the standard and all the related DIDs, that would
also be good.

Thanks for all answers.

--John R. Strohm

* Re: Documentation Standards
@ 2001-08-16 13:52 ` Mark Johnson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark Johnson @ 2001-08-16 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John R. Strohm" wrote:

> Back in the Middle Ages of military software development, we had
> DOD-STD-2167A and all the related Data Item Descriptions.  It used to be
> possible to go out on the Web and download a full set of same, or you could
> get it from your friendly neighborhood company specifications and standards
> library.  (I went through that exercise, a few times, with MIL-STD-1679,
> DOD-STD-2167, and DOD-STD-2167A.)
>
> Last I heard, DOD-STD-2167A had been dropped, and the successor project,
> DOD-STD-SDS, was terminated, with the idea being instead to use equivalent
> commercial specification standards.
>
> Does anyone know what the "equivalent" standards are, and where I can scrape
> up a set, and how much it will cost me?  ("Free" is a very good answer: this
> is something I'm doing on my own, rather than something my employer wants me
> to spend time and money doing.)
>
> Alternatively, if anyone can point me at a bootleg site with the full set
> for DOD-STD-2167A, i.e., the standard and all the related DIDs, that would
> also be good.
>
> Thanks for all answers.
>
> --John R. Strohm

A couple minute search using Altavista found a copy of the following "notice of
cancellation" for MIL-STD-498 (the successor to 2167A). As mentioned below, the
IEEE has current standards that you can purchase, subscribe to, etc. I doubt
the pricing is current :-).
  --Mark
-----

Notice of
      Cancellation
                                     IEEE/EIA 12207 Standard for
                                     Software Life Cycle Processing

MIL-STD-498

Notice 1

May 27, 1998

      MIL-STD-498, dated 5 December 1994 has been cancelled as of May 27, 1998.
Information regarding software development and
      documentation is now contained in IEEE/EIA 12207, "Information
Technology-Software Life Cycle Processes." The most reliable sources for
      IEEE/EIA 12207 are:

          IEEE OPERATIONS CENTER
          445 HOES LANE
          PO BOX 1331
          PISCATAWAY NJ 08855-1331
          1-800-678-4333
          http://www.ieee.org or
          http://standards.ieee.org/catalog/contents.html
          customer.service@ieee.org

          OR

          GLOBAL ENGINEERING
          15 INVERNESS WAY EAST
          ENGLEWOOD CO 80112
          Tel: 800-854-7179
          Fax: 303-397-2740
          http://global.ihs.com

          Ask for:

          IEEE/EIA 12207 Standard Series for Software Life Cycle Processes
Package

            1.IEEE/EIA 12207.0, "Standard for Information Technology- Software
Life Cycle Processes."
            2.IEEE/EIA 12207.1, "Guide for ISO/IEC 12207, "Standard for
Information Technology-Software Life Cycle Processes-Life
              Cycle Data."
            3.IEEE/EIA 12207.2, "Guide for ISO/IEC 12207, "Standard for
Information Technology-Software Life Cycle
              Processes-Implementation Considerations."

          Product No. SH94603 (at the IEEE/EIA Piscataway NJ Office)
          Non-member cost: $153.00 plus $8.00 Handling
          Free UPS ground shipping within the US

* Re: Documentation Standards
@ 2001-08-16 13:53 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-08-16 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

IIRC, one of the places that had some sort of "commercial standard" was the
IEEE. However, like most orgs, they are not going to give it to you free of
charge. (What? Have they never heard of the GPL? :-) It might be available
at some nominal cost - I'd check their web site. ACM might also have some
similar standards - again, probably not available for the cost of a
download.

I used to live and breathe 2167a and I got my copies of the standard from
the company library where it was shown to a xerox machine once too often. I
don't know what sort of copyright restrictions are/were on it, but I know
that most defense contractors thought it was O.K. for their libraries to
make photocopies. Maybe you can find someone who works for a DoD related org
to show one to the xerox machine for you and drop it in the mail?

2167a got a lot of criticism from various sources, but IMHO it was not a bad
standard. Somewhere in the DIDs you had a place to file any artifact of the
software development process and with a reasonably creative interpretation
of the standard you could make for yourself just about any practical
development process you liked. You could tailor out what you didn't need
rather easily - although this was one of the criticisms - that it specified
too much and that it would be hard to get permission to tailor things out.
(We didn't have too much trouble, but some contract officers went to the Les
Miserables School Of Standards Enforcement.) If I needed to put together a
process for software development, I'd still consider 2167a a good starting
point - tailoring it to what I thought I needed - even for commercial
development.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

@ 2001-08-16 15:28   ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2001-08-16 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Johnson wrote:

> [...]
>
>           GLOBAL ENGINEERING
>           15 INVERNESS WAY EAST
>           ENGLEWOOD CO 80112
>           Tel: 800-854-7179
>           Fax: 303-397-2740
>           http://global.ihs.com
>
>           Ask for:
>
>           IEEE/EIA 12207 Standard Series for Software Life Cycle Processes
> Package
>
>             1.IEEE/EIA 12207.0, "Standard for Information Technology- Software
> Life Cycle Processes."
>             2.IEEE/EIA 12207.1, "Guide for ISO/IEC 12207, "Standard for
> Information Technology-Software Life Cycle Processes-Life
>               Cycle Data."
>             3.IEEE/EIA 12207.2, "Guide for ISO/IEC 12207, "Standard for
> Information Technology-Software Life Cycle
>               Processes-Implementation Considerations."
>
>           Product No. SH94603 (at the IEEE/EIA Piscataway NJ Office)
>           Non-member cost: $153.00 plus $8.00 Handling

There is also a good guidebook to IEEE 12207 available from Abelia for
$48.  Might be worth looking at.  See:

http://www.abelia.com/12207gd.htm

Jerry
-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation, Guidance, & Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to
reply

* Re: Documentation Standards
@ 2001-08-16 19:53   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2001-08-16 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Johnson <mark_h_johnson@raytheon.com> writes:

> "John R. Strohm" wrote:

> > Alternatively, if anyone can point me at a bootleg site with the
> > full set for DOD-STD-2167A, i.e., the standard and all the related
> > DIDs, that would also be good.

I have some stuff at http://www.pushface.org/mil_498.html. Not so sure
about the "bootleg" part, DoD were keen that all & sundry should be
able to get their hands on it ..

> A couple minute search using Altavista found a copy of the following
> "notice of cancellation" for MIL-STD-498 (the successor to
> 2167A). As mentioned below, the IEEE has current standards that you
> can purchase, subscribe to, etc. I doubt the pricing is current :-).

That only means that DoD don't require it. The standard still exists,
and eg the UK MoD are still quite happy for people to use it. If you
want DIDs you will need to stick with 498 (or 2167A, I guess).

* Re: Documentation Standards
@ 2001-08-17 14:08 ` DuckE
From: DuckE @ 2001-08-17 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

You might check out:

  http://wwwedms.redstone.army.mil/edrd/498std.pdf

Which talks about MIL-STD-498

SteveD

@ 2001-08-17 14:34   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-08-17 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3B7BD023.85AEA7F5@raytheon.com>, Mark Johnson says...

>"John R. Strohm" wrote:
>
>> Last I heard, DOD-STD-2167A had been dropped, and the successor project,
>> DOD-STD-SDS, was terminated, with the idea being instead to use equivalent
>> commercial specification standards.
>>
>> Does anyone know what the "equivalent" standards are, and where I can scrape
>      MIL-STD-498, dated 5 December 1994 has been cancelled as of May 27, 1998.
>Information regarding software development and
>      documentation is now contained in IEEE/EIA 12207, "Information

For a good overview of the history of all this (going all the way back to
Mil1679), see http://www.acm.org/tsc/lifecycle.html

---

* Re: Documentation Standards
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-08-18 13:42 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2001-08-18 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John R. Strohm" wrote:

> Back in the Middle Ages of military software development, we had
> DOD-STD-2167A and all the related Data Item Descriptions.  It used to be
> possible to go out on the Web and download a full set of same, or you could
> get it from your friendly neighborhood company specifications and standards
> library.  (I went through that exercise, a few times, with MIL-STD-1679,
> DOD-STD-2167, and DOD-STD-2167A.)
>
> Last I heard, DOD-STD-2167A had been dropped, and the successor project,
> DOD-STD-SDS, was terminated, with the idea being instead to use equivalent
> commercial specification standards.
>
> Does anyone know what the "equivalent" standards are, and where I can scrape
> up a set, and how much it will cost me?  ("Free" is a very good answer: this
> is something I'm doing on my own, rather than something my employer wants me
> to spend time and money doing.)

(An earlier response I posted to this appears to have gotten lost,
trying again...)

What appears to me be the next generation of the 2167A/498 evolution is
J-STD-016.  If you're familiar with 2167, you'll get a warm fuzzy
looking through this.  J-STD-016 is titled something like "Software Life
Cycle Processes", and is a joint IEEE/EIA standard.  I got my copy via
my employer, which cost them somewhere in the vicinity of $200--I think,
for sure at least $100.

Marc A. Criley
Senior Staff Engineer
Quadrus Corporation
www.quadruscorp.com

* Re: Documentation Standards
@ 2001-08-20 14:07   ` Mark
From: Mark @ 2001-08-20 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What appears to me be the next generation of the 2167A/498 evolution is
> J-STD-016.  If you're familiar with 2167, you'll get a warm fuzzy
> looking through this.  J-STD-016 is titled something like "Software Life
> Cycle Processes", and is a joint IEEE/EIA standard.  I got my copy via
> my employer, which cost them somewhere in the vicinity of $200--I think,
> for sure at least $100.

It doesn't sound very new see:

http://www.software.org/quagmire/descriptions/j-std-016.asp

http://www.abelia.com/pubsmain.htm

http://www.software.org/dcspin/Past_Mtgs1999.html#Aug99

Aren't most organizations just taking the 498/016 standard and
tailoring it to meet their needs since the DoD no longer enforces this
kind of standard?