* Icon for (windows) *.ads & *.adb
@ 2003-10-28 21:59 John Woodruff
From: John Woodruff @ 2003-10-28 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

MS Windows directory display window is able to show a distinctive icon
for each file type -- in the case of Ada source files, it (should be)
a portrait of Mme Ada.

I have somehow misplaced those icons.  (But not completely lost them;
files with extension *.ada still show a proper portrait icon)

I know how to assign an icon to a file (using "view : folder options
..." menu).  But I can't find the file that has the Lady Ada portrait.

Can someone please tell me how to find those icons?  (I search the
"usual places" for files of type *.ico without result).

Thx
John

* Re: Icon for (windows) *.ads & *.adb
@ 2003-10-28 22:02 ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2003-10-28 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

John,

I'm guessing those icons came with some Ada specific application you
installed.  Take a look for same in "program files".  You could also take
a look at the "file types" tab in the explorer tools(?) to see if the icon
can be set where the file type is defined.

- Ed

* Re: Icon for (windows) *.ads & *.adb
@ 2003-10-28 23:02   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2003-10-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed Falis wrote:
> John,
>
> I'm guessing those icons came with some Ada specific application you
> installed.  Take a look for same in "program files".  You could also
> take a look at the "file types" tab in the explorer tools(?) to see if
> the icon can be set where the file type is defined.
>
> - Ed

Failing that, I have a couple of .ico files I jimmied up (in a hurry!) that
I'd be happy to e-mail to you, if you wish.

--
Nick Roberts

* Re: Icon for (windows) *.ads & *.adb
@ 2003-10-28 23:35 ` Alexandre E. Kopilovitch
From: Alexandre E. Kopilovitch @ 2003-10-28 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada, John Woodruff

John Woodruff wrote:

> MS Windows directory display window is able to show a distinctive icon
> for each file type -- in the case of Ada source files, it (should be)
> a portrait of Mme Ada.
>
> I have somehow misplaced those icons.  (But not completely lost them;
> files with extension *.ada still show a proper portrait icon)
>
> I know how to assign an icon to a file (using "view : folder options
> ..." menu).  But I can't find the file that has the Lady Ada portrait.
>
> Can someone please tell me how to find those icons?  (I search the
>"usual places" for files of type *.ico without result).

Why not let Windows find them by searching whole PC (or particular drive if
you are sure that the files must be there) ?

 Start | Search | For Files or Folders

and type *.ico (or full file name if you know it) in box under
"Search for files or folders names.

* Re: Icon for (windows) *.ads & *.adb
@ 2003-10-29  1:54 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2003-10-29  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Woodruff wrote:

> Can someone please tell me how to find those icons?  (I search the
> "usual places" for files of type *.ico without result).

Pretend you're going to change the icon for *.ada file. This will let
you see where it's getting the icon for those. You can then cancel that
operation and use the same file for the icon for *.ad[bs] files.

--
Jeff Carter
"We burst our pimples at you."

* Re: Icon for (windows) *.ads & *.adb
@ 2003-10-29 15:08   ` Manuel Collado
From: Manuel Collado @ 2003-10-29 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed Falis wrote:
> John,
>
> I'm guessing those icons came with some Ada specific application you
> installed.  Take a look for same in "program files".  You could also
> take a look at the "file types" tab in the explorer tools(?) to see if
> the icon can be set where the file type is defined.

In my machine, they are part of a GNAT installation:

     ...\gnat\bin\gnaticons.dll

Hope it helps,
--
To reply by e-mail, please remove the extra dot
in the given address:  m.collado -> mcollado

* Re: Icon for (windows) *.ads & *.adb
@ 2003-10-29 17:45   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-10-29 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Alexandre E. Kopilovitch" <aek@vib.usr.pu.ru> writes:

> John Woodruff wrote:
>
> > Can someone please tell me how to find those icons?  (I search the
> >"usual places" for files of type *.ico without result).
>
> Why not let Windows find them by searching whole PC (or particular drive if
> you are sure that the files must be there) ?
>
>  Start | Search | For Files or Folders
>
> and type *.ico (or full file name if you know it) in box under
> "Search for files or folders names.

They are just as likely to be in a .dll or .exe

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Icon for (windows) *.ads & *.adb  <Resolved!>
@ 2003-10-29 17:51     ` John Woodruff
From: John Woodruff @ 2003-10-29 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

We have a winner!

Thanks, Manuel.

This turned out to be a little bit non-trivial (for me, at least)
because
1) the icon is NOT in a file *.ico, so searching was non-productive,
and
2) the file gnaticons.dll was "hidden", so I had to un-check some
option somewhere before it appeared.

Now my spec's and bodies are all properly pictured.