* bibtex entry for Ada standards
@ 2009-05-23 15:31 qunying
From: qunying @ 2009-05-23 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am writing a LaTeX document that will refer to the Ada83/95
standards, but not sure how to defined the bibtex entry for it, for
eg. Ada83, I could only found this:

Reference Manual for the Ada Programming Language, Department of
Defense, ANSI/MIL-STD-1815A. 1983

There is no author fields, do you happened to know?

Thanks

* Re: bibtex entry for Ada standards
@ 2009-05-23 18:58 ` Nicholas Paul Collin Gloucester
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nicholas Paul Collin Gloucester @ 2009-05-23 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2009-05-23, qunying <zhu.qunying@gmail.com> wrote:

|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|"Hi,                                                               |
|I am writing a LaTeX document that will refer to the Ada83/95      |
|standards, but not sure how to defined the bibtex entry for it, for|
|eg. Ada83, I could only found this:                                |
|Reference Manual for the Ada Programming Language, Department of   |
|Defense, ANSI/MIL-STD-1815A. 1983                                  |
|There is no author fields, do you happened to know?                |
|Thanks"                                                            |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Jean D. Ichbiah et al. wrote it. Thank you for your interest.

* Re: bibtex entry for Ada standards
@ 2009-05-25  7:11   ` christoph.grein
From: christoph.grein @ 2009-05-25  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

To be exact:

The cover page of my printed version reads:

Reference Manual for the Ada Programming Language
ANSI/MIL-STD-1815A
United States Department of Defense

Honeywell Systems and Research Center
2600 Ridgway Parkway
Minneapolis, MN 55413

and

Alsys
29 Avenue de Versailles
78170 La Celle Saint Cloud, France

January 1983

> Jean D. Ichbiah et al. wrote it.

So there is no author. The foreword names JDI as the leader of the
design team.

* Re: bibtex entry for Ada standards
@ 2009-05-25  8:13 ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2009-05-25  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hullo,
Here is the Ada 95 RM cover, as edited by Springer:

_______
Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1246
_______
S. Tucker Taft
Robert A. Duff (Eds.)
_______
Ada 95
Reference Manual
Language and Standard Libraries
International Standard ISO/IEC 8652:1995(E)

Gautier's Ada programming -- http://sf.net/users/gdemont/

* Re: bibtex entry for Ada standards
@ 2009-05-25  9:15 ` anon
From: anon @ 2009-05-25  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now, since "Randy Brukardt" is one of the RM editors who visits this
newsgroup from time to time, you might ask him. He may know since he has
been editing Ada RM since the mid 1990s at least. If your lucky, he may have
edited a version of Ada 83 RM.

But I do not think your going to find a single author for Ada 83/85 only a set
of United States Government agencies like the DOD and "Ada Joint Program
Office", and a few companies, like "Intermetrics, Inc." which have the
copyright of Ada.

Note: Both Ada 83 and 95 specs. were under the direct control of the US DOD.

So, if I had to say I would state:

        "Ada Joint Program Office, OUSDRE (R&AT),"
        "The Pentagon, Washington, DC 20301-2081, U.S.A."

with the DOD, would be the authors of the Ada 83 specs.

Now for RM Ada 95, the copyright was transfered to "Intermetrics, Inc."
around 1992.

@ 2009-05-25 16:28   ` qunying
From: qunying @ 2009-05-25 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Thanks for all the input. In this case then, what people normally use
for their bibtex entry for this kind of standards?

I could use manual as it does not require a author field, like
@manual {
   title="Reference Manual for the Ada Programming Language"
   organization="Department of Defense"
   note="ANSI/MIL-STD-1815A"
   year="1983"
}

And better definition?

@ 2009-05-25 16:56     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2009-05-25 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

qunying schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all the input. In this case then, what people normally use
> for their bibtex entry for this kind of standards?
>
> I could use manual as it does not require a author field, like
> @manual {
>    title="Reference Manual for the Ada Programming Language"
>    organization="Department of Defense"
>    note="ANSI/MIL-STD-1815A"
>    year="1983"
> }
>
> And better definition?

Some books have similar entries in their list of references,
as have some online publications, typically about languages.
(The Liskov/Wing paper on subtyping, I think.)
These should be reasonably official.

* Re: bibtex entry for Ada standards
@ 2009-05-25 16:58     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2009-05-25 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

qunying schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all the input. In this case then, what people normally use
> for their bibtex entry for this kind of standards?
>
> I could use manual as it does not require a author field, like
> @manual {
>    title="Reference Manual for the Ada Programming Language"
>    organization="Department of Defense"
>    note="ANSI/MIL-STD-1815A"
>    year="1983"
> }
>
> And better definition?

When you search the Digital Library of
http://portal.acm.org

the results include lists of references.

* Re: bibtex entry for Ada standards
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-05-25 18:08 ` Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2009-05-25 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <f7e8d530-65c4-482a-a14c-57adc4cbdebf@r31g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
qunying  <zhu.qunying@gmail.com> wrote:
>I am writing a LaTeX document that will refer to the Ada83/95
>standards, but not sure how to defined the bibtex entry for it, [...]

Information on printed copies of Ada Reference Manuals and various
related documents is available on the Ada-Europe web-site at URL
<http://www.ada-europe.org/manuals.html>.

You may know that (among others) all successive Ada Reference Manuals have
been published in Springer's LNCS series, most of them on the initiative
of Ada-Europe.  As these LNCS editions are the main source for printed
copies, it seems best to include references to those publications in
your bibliography: that's what most recent papers do.

The above mentioned web-page has the following relevant information
(some URLs no longer work, so I've include corrected ones):

* S. Tucker Taft, Robert A. Duff, Randall L. Brukardt, Erhard Ploedereder,
  Pascal Leroy (Eds.)
  "Ada 2005 Reference Manual: Language and Standard Libraries,
  International Standard ISO/IEC 8652:1995(E) with Technical
  Corrigendum 1 and Amendment 1"
  Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 4348
  Springer Verlag, 2006
  ISBN-10 3-540-69335-1
  ISBN-13 978-3-540-69335-2
  <http://www.springer.com/computer/programming/book/978-3-540-69335-2>

* S. Tucker Taft, Robert A. Duff, Randall L. Brukhardt, Erhard Ploedereder
  (Eds.):
  "Consolidated Ada Reference Manual: Language and Standard Libraries
  International Standard ISO/IEC 8652:1995(E) with Technical Corrigendum 1"
  Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 2219
  Springer-Verlag, 2001
  ISBN 3-540-43038-5
  <http://www.springer.com/computer/programming/book/978-3-540-43038-4>

* S. Tucker Taft, Robert A. Duff (Eds.):
  "Ada 95 Reference Manual: Language and Standard Libraries,
  International Standard ISO/IEC 8652:1995(E)"
  Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 1246
  Springer-Verlag, 1997
  ISBN 3-540-63144-5
  <http://www.springer.com/computer/programming/book/978-3-540-63144-6>

The LNCS publication of the Ada 83 Reference Manual is:

* "The Programming Language Ada. Reference Manual"
  American National Standards Institute, Inc. ANSI/MIL-STD-1815A-1983.
  Approved 17 February 1983
  Lecture Notes in Computer Science , Vol. 155
  1983, IX, 331 p., Softcover
  ISBN: 978-3-540-12328-6
  <http://www.springer.com/computer/programming/book/978-3-540-12328-6>

There's more available (Rationales, Style Guide, etc.) but I hope the
above already helps.

Dirk
Dirk.Craeynest@cs.kuleuven.be (for Ada-Belgium/-Europe/SIGAda/WG9 mail)

* Re: bibtex entry for Ada standards
@ 2009-05-26 22:46   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2009-05-26 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dirk Craeynest" <dirk@heli.cs.kuleuven.be> wrote in message
> In article
> <f7e8d530-65c4-482a-a14c-57adc4cbdebf@r31g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
> qunying  <zhu.qunying@gmail.com> wrote:
>>I am writing a LaTeX document that will refer to the Ada83/95
>>standards, but not sure how to defined the bibtex entry for it, [...]
>
> Information on printed copies of Ada Reference Manuals and various
> related documents is available on the Ada-Europe web-site at URL
> <http://www.ada-europe.org/manuals.html>.
>
> You may know that (among others) all successive Ada Reference Manuals have
> been published in Springer's LNCS series, most of them on the initiative
> of Ada-Europe.  As these LNCS editions are the main source for printed
> copies, it seems best to include references to those publications in
> your bibliography: that's what most recent papers do.

An alternative, of course, is to reference the official ISO/IEC standards.
(They don't have authors, either.)

For Ada 95, that would be ISO/IEC 8652:1995(E), Information technology -
Programming languages - Ada.

To get to Ada 2005, you need the Corrigendum and Amendment as well:

ISO/IEC 8652:1995/Cor.1:2001(E), Information technology - Programming
languages - Ada - Technical Corrigendum 1.

ISO/IEC 8652:1995/AMD 1:2007(E), Information technology - Programming
languages - Ada - Amendment 1.

I don't have the exact title of the 1987 standard handy (that is Ada 83; it
wasn't made an ISO standard until much later as is evident from the date).
It would be something like ISO/IEC 8652:1987(E), Information technology -
Programming languages - Ada, but as there were some nomenclature changes
over the years, it might be slightly different.

                                          Randy.

* Re: bibtex entry for Ada standards
@ 2009-05-27 19:59     ` qunying
From: qunying @ 2009-05-27 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you all for the input and inspiration.