From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Gtk 3.8.4 (and after) do not fully support WinXp
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 18:02:46 +0200
Date: 2015-09-18T18:02:46+02:00	[thread overview]

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 08:44:09 -0700 (PDT), ahlan@marriott.org wrote:

[...]
> It is hard to find out what exactly changed between 3.8.2 and 3.8.4 but
> the numbering seems to indicate that there were no major changes or
> enhancements.

It indicates little. GTK maintainers do not care about backward
compatibility. There is a lot of stuff that ceases to work with each new
GTK version. I tracked most of that to make GtkAda 3.8.3 working with GTK
3.10.x. I don't have 3.8.4, so I cannot tell, but my GtkAda applications
work under both Windows and fully updated Linux.

Major offenders are dialog boxes and stock items. They should generate
warnings but actually they tend to crash the application. Other things are
Get_String and Set_String of the tree and, possibly, of the list model.
These corrupt stack and memory pool after several calls. The pixbuff cell
renderer works no more because they are going to kill stock items. And so
on.

Some workarounds I did are here:

http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/gtkada_contributions.htm

In all cases fill your application with tracing output to localize the
problem.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov