* apq or gnade
@ 2004-03-16 12:14 antonio
From: antonio @ 2004-03-16 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I m goin to develop an application with a relational database as
backend. Sure postgres is my choice because of former experience. I
saw that there are two main API for ADA language( as subject). What is
your experience? Are these the only two?
Thank you. in advance

* Re: apq or gnade
@ 2004-03-16 14:02 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2004-03-16 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: antonio; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

antonio <bergnoli@pd.infn.it> wrote on 16/03/2004 (13:25) :
> I m goin to develop an application with a relational database as
> backend. Sure postgres is my choice because of former experience. I
> saw that there are two main API for ADA language( as subject). What is
> your experience? Are these the only two?

IT depends on your needs. You may find some reasons here:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg/software.html#APQ

and

http://gnade.sourceforge.net/

as to what you want.

--
Preben Randhol -------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/Ada95 --
                 �For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.�

* Re: apq or gnade
@ 2004-03-16 14:24 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-03-16 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

antonio <bergnoli@pd.infn.it> wrote:
: I m goin to develop an application with a relational database as
: backend. Sure postgres is my choice because of former experience. I
: saw that there are two main API for ADA language( as subject). What is
: your experience? Are these the only two?
: Thank you. in advance

You might want to consider the ways to query RDBs.
For example, GNADE has embedded SQL (which AFAIK is a standardised
mechanism) in addition to ODBC and native bindings,
and corresponding translators.
The desired flexibility of your query statements at run time might
be orienting as well. If, for the sake of an extreme example, your
application reads SELECT statements from input and executes this
query, spitting out the results in text form, embedded SQL might
not be the first choice.
On the other hand, embedded SQL might force you to think about where
you are going to store items in your program, and at the same time
document the choices in place.

-- Georg

* Re: apq or gnade
@ 2004-03-18 20:08 ` Michael Erdmann
From: Michael Erdmann @ 2004-03-18 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bergnoli

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 04:14:38 -0800, antonio wrote:

> I m goin to develop an application with a relational database as
> backend. Sure postgres is my choice because of former experience. I
> saw that there are two main API for ADA language( as subject). What is
> your experience? Are these the only two?
> Thank you. in advance
Have you come to any concolusion? Anyway i have added
the link to Apq to the gnade home page.

Regards
   M.Erdmann