From: Micronian Coder <micronian2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: wxAda : is it vanished ?
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:03:53 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2009-08-13T10:03:53-07:00	[thread overview]

Hi,

There is a library called Agar that is written in C. I have never used
it, but I found it interesting that someone added a thin Ada binding
to it. Currently, the Ada binding depends on AdaSDL since Agar depends
on SDL and OpenGL. However, version 1.4 of Agar is suppose to allow
for more variety of graphics drivers. In addition, Agar is available
for these platforms: FreeBSD, IRIX, Linux, MacOS Classic, MacOS X,
NetBSD, OpenBSD and Windows. It even mentions Game Cube support for
anyone who is interested in that.

From the website libagar.org :

Agar is a modern open-source, cross-platform toolkit for graphical
applications implemented in C, C++ and Ada (with bindings to other
languages in development). Designed for ease of integration, it
follows the philosophy of building the GUI around the application and
not the other way around. Unlike most other GUI toolkits, Agar takes
maximum advantage of hardware graphics acceleration when it is
available via OpenGL, but it also supports traditional framebuffer
interfaces such as SDL direct video. The Agar API is entirely thread-
safe when Agar is compiled with optional threads support.

The distribution includes two libraries: Agar-GUI implements the base
Agar GUI system and a comprehensive set of standard widgets. Agar-GUI
is object-oriented and relies heavily on inheritance, virtual
functions and virtual filesystems. This functionality is implemented
by the GUI-independent Agar-Core library, which also includes various
utility and portability interfaces.

The Agar distribution also includes some more specialized libraries
aimed at specific applications, such as Agar-MATH, Agar-RG, Agar-VG
and Agar-DEV. Some of our other toolkits which extend (and rely on)
Agar include FreeSG, Edacious and cadtools.

Agar is free software. Its source code is freely usable and re-usable
by everyone under a BSD license, which allows use in commercial
applications free of charge. Agar is stable, well-maintained and has
been growing organically since early 2002. The Agar project is
sponsored by Csoft.net: Security conscious, high-availability Unix
hosting on redundant server arrays.

--Micronian