From: "Marcelo Coraça de Freitas" <marcelo.batera@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: What is your preferred VCS?
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 01:12:12 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2010-08-01T01:12:12-07:00	[thread overview]

Wow, long topic this one.

Every message I have read had several good points. I stoped reading I
think at 60% of it... sorry if what I am about to say is redundant in
anyway and I will try to read the rest after I send this and keep
reathing this as time goes by. Oh, and keep in mind I am not a native
english speaker (and I acquired my english skills by playing some
random FPS games with some cool kids from USA).

First a small clarification. The Operating System project that was
using monotone is AuroraUX, not AdaOS. I has been involved in both
projects. In the AdaOS time I was only a PHP coder so there wasn't
much I could do to really help and the project ended a long time ago.

AuroraUX began as a fork from Open Solaris and now the system is based
on a BSD flavour (well, that's not really important in this topic).
They started using monotone but switched to git for a simple reason:
monotone is VERY slow (and I do mean slow.. taking several hours) when
cloning a given repository thanks to a bug in it (I don't know what
exactly causes this bug). I know someone intended to fix this it, but
for now they switched to git as it's great for large projects and
works very well.

I am using git myself in the KOW Framework repositories (for those who
don't now yet that includes APQ). Actually, if any of you need a git
repository (and a redmine project page) for your Open Source code just
email in private and I'll see what I can do about it.

Git is fast, easy to learn and to setup and the best thing: it simply
works. Remember it is just a tool, one that is well tested in real-
life situation by it's own developers. For your code to be great...
well.... your code must be great. You don't need the best kernel/
operating system to work. The same works for the most of the tools you
use (IMHO not the compiler and the libraries you use though). I do
think having an Ada based CVS would be awesome (as having an Ada based
build system is also). Sadly it's not the case here.. and if it were
I'd go for it.

Other nice feature of git is not git itself. Is gitosis. It makes
really easy to manage your repository using SSH keys and a given user
can have several keys. For me it's great because I work in several
machines and operating systems and if I ever got one of the keys
stolen I can go there and simply disable it.