* undefined symbol: z_errmsg
@ 2013-08-01  6:21 Dwiki
From: Dwiki @ 2013-08-01  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello,
I am a beginner programmer in Ada,
I recently made a simple application with GtkAda, but when i execute it in another computer, it say

"undefined symbol: z_errmsg"

any clue?

thanks :)

* Re: undefined symbol: z_errmsg
@ 2013-08-01  6:58 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2013-08-01  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 23:21:51 -0700 (PDT), Dwiki wrote:

> I am a beginner programmer in Ada,

You are welcome!

> I recently made a simple application with GtkAda, but when i execute it in another computer, it say
>
> "undefined symbol: z_errmsg"
>
> any clue?

You cannot get this message executing any application, but a linker.
Otherwise, if you mean building the application, then z_errmsg is from the
zlib library which must be available when you link your project. You should
say which OS and which version of GtkAda you use.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: undefined symbol: z_errmsg
@ 2013-08-01  7:21   ` Dwiki
From: Dwiki @ 2013-08-01  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pada Kamis, 01 Agustus 2013 13:58:29 UTC+7, Dmitry A. Kazakov  menulis:
> On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 23:21:51 -0700 (PDT), Dwiki wrote:
>

> > I am a beginner programmer in Ada,
>

> You are welcome!
>

> > I recently made a simple application with GtkAda, but when i execute it in another computer, it say
>

> > "undefined symbol: z_errmsg"
>

> > any clue?
>

> You cannot get this message executing any application, but a linker.
>
> Otherwise, if you mean building the application, then z_errmsg is from the
>
> zlib library which must be available when you link your project. You should
>
> say which OS and which version of GtkAda you use.
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
>
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Hello Dmitry,
thank you for being willing to discuss with me,
i develop using version 2.14.1 gtkada and Ubuntu 8.04.4,
but ive got to run my app in Ubuntu 10.4,
im using Ubuntu 8.04 because somebody already preapred the environment for develop gtkaada, but my client using ubuntu 10.4.
what should i do then?

@ 2013-08-01  8:14     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2013-08-01  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 00:21:37 -0700 (PDT), Dwiki wrote:

> thank you for being willing to discuss with me,
> i develop using version 2.14.1 gtkada and Ubuntu 8.04.4,

2.14 is very outdated (and unstable as well). The actual version is 3.4.
The latest pre-packaged Linux version is 2.24.

> but ive got to run my app in Ubuntu 10.4,
> im using Ubuntu 8.04 because somebody already preapred the environment for
> develop gtkaada, but my client using ubuntu 10.4.
> what should i do then?

I would suggest you upgrading to libgtkada2.24.1-dev (Debian's naming
should be same for Ubuntu) first before anything else.

When deploying your executable, note that it will depend on the binary
package libgtkada2.24.1 (Debian). You will have to install this package
(and the dependencies of) on the target.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: undefined symbol: z_errmsg
@ 2013-08-01  8:42       ` Dwiki
From: Dwiki @ 2013-08-01  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pada Kamis, 01 Agustus 2013 15:14:09 UTC+7, Dmitry A. Kazakov  menulis:
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 00:21:37 -0700 (PDT), Dwiki wrote:
>

> > thank you for being willing to discuss with me,
>
> > i develop using version 2.14.1 gtkada and Ubuntu 8.04.4,
>

> 2.14 is very outdated (and unstable as well). The actual version is 3.4.
>
> The latest pre-packaged Linux version is 2.24.
>

> > but ive got to run my app in Ubuntu 10.4,
>
> > im using Ubuntu 8.04 because somebody already preapred the environment for
>
> > develop gtkaada, but my client using ubuntu 10.4.
>
> > what should i do then?
>

> I would suggest you upgrading to libgtkada2.24.1-dev (Debian's naming
>
> should be same for Ubuntu) first before anything else.
>

> When deploying your executable, note that it will depend on the binary
>
> package libgtkada2.24.1 (Debian). You will have to install this package
>
> (and the dependencies of) on the target.
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
>
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

thank you dmitry, ive read your reference to develop my app too.
but before i upgrading my lilbgtk, might be it just im not build or install dependencies on the target correctly,can you suggest me a page to build and distribute gtkada application??
big thanks

* Re: undefined symbol: z_errmsg
@ 2013-08-01  9:17         ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2013-08-01  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 01:42:56 -0700 (PDT), Dwiki wrote:

> thank you dmitry, ive read your reference to develop my app too.
> but before i upgrading my lilbgtk, might be it just im not build or
> install dependencies on the target correctly,can you suggest me a page to
> build and distribute gtkada application??

Since you are using Ubuntu, that should be this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/aptitude.html

Building Ada programs, considering you are using project files:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/ada-mode/Use-GNAT-project-file.html
http://docs.adacore.com/gnat-unw-docs/html/gnat_ugn_12.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gnat_ugn_unw/The-GNAT-Make-Program-gnatmake.html

You can use gnatmake or gprbuild. The latter needs to be installed. The
former is always installed with GNAT.

Your project must include the line

with "gtkada.gpr";

or "gtkada2.gpr", I don't remember which name Debian distribution uses. You
should check that by searching install directory of project files. The
document describing where what gets installed is this:

http://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html

That should add all necessary options for the compiler, binder and linker
to make Gtk, GtkAda, ... and zlib available to your program.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov