From: "Rego, P." <pvrego@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Chicken or the egg. New targets & runtimes
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 12:51:30 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-05-21T12:51:30-07:00	[thread overview]

> For example, if you have 4 tasks and divide memory equally, each task
> gets only about 512 bytes (2KB total / 4 = 512b and you need to
> reserve a little for the scheduler also). In addition, task switching
> overheard might become quite big, since you need to save quite many
> registers in every switch and processor CPU frequency is limited to
> 20MHz at maximum.

Well, 512B is exactly the amount of SRAM an AVR Minumus (AT90USB162 - 512B SRAM, 16KB Flash and 16MHz) has available, so it's not so few. I have one, and it's quite good for simple control/robotic applications even using as CDC (much more as standalone). With this 4-tasking scheme, we would simply have the equivalent to 4 AT90USB162 running in parallel, but a bit faster, since ATmega328P is 20MHz, and with more h/w resources. Also the 32KB Flash from the ATmega328p would be enough to allocate all the code for the tasks.

> But, I agree that (implementing) the tasking would be interesting,
> whether or not it being useful. :)

Yes, but I believe it will be useful :-)