From: hreba <hreba@terra.com.br>
Subject: Re: Undefined reference errors and strange new files appearing
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 12:51:09 -0300
Date: 2014-06-22T12:51:09-03:00	[thread overview]

On 06/22/2014 02:56 AM, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> Did you build your library? Usually, when using a library as an OS library,
> you need two projects, one in order to build the library and another to use
> it. Then each projects would likely have several scenarios depending on
> whether the library is relocatable or static (and debugging or release).
>
> P.S. b~files are generated by GNAT when building an executable. Ignore
> them.

Yes, I built the library. I do not really need an OS library, I just
thought that this is the only way to compile something without a main
subprogram in it. I found extensive documentation (GBRbuild User's Guide
in /usr/share/doc/gprbuild-doc/html/gprbuild_ug.html) on how to build a
library and very little on how to import it.

So what is the usual development cycle of a project without a main
subprogram (called "library" below)? The following?

1. Write the project file of the "library", be it as library or not.

2. Write an application (test-) project which imports the "library".

3. Compile the application in order to debug the imported "library".
    Iterate this step.

4. When the "library" is sufficiently mature, and if a real library is
wanted, compile it as a library project.

Up to now, I always have been compiling my libraries on its own in order
to correct syntactical errors, only then I switched to (test-)
applications importing them.

--
Frank Hrebabetzky		+55 / 48 / 3235 1106
Florianopolis, Brazil