From: Peter Amey <peter.amey@praxis-cs.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Software Quality & Fault Measurement
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:08:34 +0000
Date: 2004-02-12T10:08:34+00:00	[thread overview]

Michael Kelly wrote:
> I'm trying to locate information on quality measurement studies that have
> been done on projects using C, C++, Ada, Java, and Perl. I'm particularly
> interested in materials regarding fault measurements. Any pointers would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> If these are not the proper newsgroups to post this to, please disregard.

Although it wasn't primarily a comparative study, some useful evidence
emerged from the Lockheed C130J programme and, in particular, the
certification effort sponsored by the UK MoD on that aircraft.  Relevant
papers from Crosstalk Journal include:

"Correctness by Construction, Better Can Also be Cheaper"
http://www.sparkada.com/downloads/Mar2002Amey.pdf

and

"Software Static Code Analysis Lessons Learned" by Andy German, QinetiQ
Boscombe Down. DoD CrossTalk Journal, November 2003
http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/2003/11/index.html

Executive summary:  C130J (Hercules II) code, already cleared to DO178
levels A or B, in a variety of languages from a variety of vendors, was
reviewed and examined by an MoD-appointed contractor.  Residual error
rates for Ada were about an order of magnitude smaller that for C-based
languages.  SPARK had significantly lower error rates than Ada.

Peter