* Q:Most reasonable OS Layer Access?
@ 2004-01-07  5:29 Michael Erdmann
From: Michael Erdmann @ 2004-01-07  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

i need to create/delete directories, stop processes etc
from Ada 95. I am wondering what the most reasonable way
is to do such things (e.g. using florist or is there something
simpler available)?

Thanks in advance,
   Michael

* Re: Q:Most reasonable OS Layer Access?
@ 2004-01-07 13:22 ` Frank J. Lhota
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2004-01-07 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael Erdmann" <Michael.Erdmann@snafu.de> wrote in message
> i need to create/delete directories, stop processes etc
> from Ada 95. I am wondering what the most reasonable way
> is to do such things (e.g. using florist or is there something
> simpler available)?

These operations are all operating system specific, so you will need to
specify the OS before we can be of further assistance.

* Re: Q:Most reasonable OS Layer Access?
@ 2004-01-07 15:59 ` Andreas Almroth
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Almroth @ 2004-01-07 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Erdmann wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> i need to create/delete directories, stop processes etc
> from Ada 95. I am wondering what the most reasonable way
> is to do such things (e.g. using florist or is there something
> simpler available)?

Although Florist would be neat to use, I have found GNAT specific
packages such as Gnat.OS_Lib and Gnat.Directory_Operations for file and
directory access quite adequate.
For processes, well, perhaps Gnat.Expect? If not, just import kill,
spawn (in Gnat.OS_Lib btw) and other functions from the OS library.
Might be a bit too platform specific compared to Florist, but simpler...

/Andreas

From: Andreas Almroth @ 2004-01-07 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-01-07 19:58   ` Michael Erdmann
From: Michael Erdmann @ 2004-01-07 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 13:22:55 +0000, Frank J. Lhota wrote:

> "Michael Erdmann" <Michael.Erdmann@snafu.de> wrote in message
>> i need to create/delete directories, stop processes etc
>> from Ada 95. I am wondering what the most reasonable way
>> is to do such things (e.g. using florist or is there something
>> simpler available)?
>
> These operations are all operating system specific, so you will need to
> specify the OS before we can be of further assistance.

Linux and like to keep it portable towards Windows XP.

Michael

* Re: Q:Most reasonable OS Layer Access?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-01-07 21:19 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-01-07 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael Erdmann" <Michael.Erdmann@snafu.de> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> i need to create/delete directories, stop processes etc
> from Ada 95. I am wondering what the most reasonable way
> is to do such things (e.g. using florist or is there something
> simpler available)?

If Win32 based then you could try Ada0Y.Directories from my
web page @ http://www.martin.dowie.btinternet.co.uk/.
This is an implementation of the proposal for Ada0Y (AI-248, see
http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/AIs/AI-00248.TXT).

* Re: Q:Most reasonable OS Layer Access?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-01-08 18:54 ` Michael Erdmann
From: Michael Erdmann @ 2004-01-08 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 06:29:05 +0100, Michael Erdmann wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> i need to create/delete directories, stop processes etc
> from Ada 95. I am wondering what the most reasonable way
> is to do such things (e.g. using florist or is there something
> simpler available)?

Thanks for your ideas,

i have decided to use the GNAT libraries and i will build a
shell around it providing my the services i need.

Regards
   M.Erdmann