From: healyzh@aracnet.com
Subject: Re: Happy Birthday Ada
Date: 17 Dec 2003 05:44:57 GMT
Date: 2003-12-17T05:44:57+00:00	[thread overview]

Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com> wrote:
> I've heard rumors here of somebody porting the Gnat compiler to the
> DEC-10. I don't even know if there is still any hardware out there to
> run it on. I've heard tell of software emulators but I don't know if
> there is much of a user base. It would have been nice to see Ada running
> on a DEC-10 - back in the day... Now? I don't know what practical use it
> would be put to. Its not as if there is a truckload of Ada software for
> the DEC-10 sitting around going to waste.

GCC, not GNAT is being ported to TOPS-20, XKL is paying for the port to run
on the XKL-1.  There are still real PDP-10's running on the Internet, and
several emulated ones as well.  If you're interested in PDP-10 emulation,
see my webpage at http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/pdp10emu.html, it also has
plenty of links to info on the real HW.  As for how much of a userbase, I
don't really know, but it is interesting to note that XKL is rumored to be
working on an XKL-2.  For that matter there are a couple of Hobbyists
building their own PDP-10 based systems out of FPGA's.  I gather some of the
SC-20's and SC-30's are still in use as well.  All the genuine DEC CPU's and
the Flooney's seem to have been retired.

> Robert A Duff wrote:
> >
> > Cool.  In 1982, I worked on an Ada compiler for the DEC-10
> > (running the Tops-20 OS).

Any chance a copy of this is laying around somewhere?  I wouldn't mind a
copy of Ada for my TOPS-20 system!

		Zane