From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Binding or not binding
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 19:58:16 -0600
Date: 2007-02-05T19:58:16-06:00	[thread overview]

"Bj�rn Persson" <spam-away@nowhere.nil> wrote in message
news:DDMxh.31243$E02.12620@newsb.telia.net...
> I wonder if it would make sense to make a hybrid, or maybe I should call
it
> an ultra-thick binding. That is, to design an API that makes sense for
Ada,
> and write the specifications without regard to any other library, but then
> internally use a portable library like GTK+, QT or WXwidgets - or
low-level
> parts of it - to put things on the screen and take care of the
> cross-platform issues.

That's vaguely what we were trying to do with Claw, except that we were only
trying to target Windows. (We were worried about a
"least-common-denominator" approach.) I certainly agree that that is the
best idea, but it might be difficult to actually do because of the great
differences in the design of the underlying libraries.

                                  Randy.