* Ini reader package
@ 2003-10-29 20:07 Ching Bon Lam
From: Ching Bon Lam @ 2003-10-29 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know if there is some kind of ini file reader/writer package?
Otherwise i'll write one myself.

Bon

* Re: Ini reader package
@ 2003-10-29 20:22 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-10-29 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ching Bon Lam <c.lam_REMOVE_THIS@student.utwente.nl> writes:

> Does anyone know if there is some kind of ini file reader/writer package?
> Otherwise i'll write one myself.

Grace.Config_Files reads Java properties syntax; that satisfies "some
kind of ini file", unless you meant "exactly Windows ini file format".

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/grace/

A question; what search engines did you employ, that did not find
this? I'd like to fix that.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Ini reader package
@ 2003-10-29 21:32   ` Ching Bon Lam
From: Ching Bon Lam @ 2003-10-29 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov> wrote in

> Ching Bon Lam <c.lam_REMOVE_THIS@student.utwente.nl> writes:
>
>> Does anyone know if there is some kind of ini file reader/writer
>> package? Otherwise i'll write one myself.
>
> Grace.Config_Files reads Java properties syntax; that satisfies "some
> kind of ini file", unless you meant "exactly Windows ini file format".
>
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/grace/

Maybe i'll just use this instead of "exactly windows ini files format".

> A question; what search engines did you employ, that did not find
> this? I'd like to fix that.

I did use google. Searched for "ini file reader". Then for "ini file
reader class" what was quite stupid since Ada doesn't have class but
package.

After i've read this post i decided to look for "ada ini file package"..
some results:

1. http://sage.inel.gov/rman_toc_ada.htm
2. http://lists.act-europe.fr/pipermail/gtkada/2002-May/001459.html
3. http://jacob.sparre.dk/Ada/aws_demo/source/aws-config-ini__adb.htm

ad 1: works with StonyBrook compiler.. never heard of it..
ad 2: spec file looks good, but where is the body?
ad 3: looks like it's aws specific..

also in the result set:

4. http://www.nongnu.org/Grace/config_files.html
5. http://www.toadmail.com/~ada_wizard/ada/windex.html

ad 4: looks like what you have suggested.
ad 5: I just assumed it's not platform independent.

What i just wanted is a single package independent of other packages and
platform independent.

Bon

P.S.: The "Overview" section at
http://www.nongnu.org/Grace/Grace_Home.html is nice, very nice :)

* Re: Ini reader package
@ 2003-10-29 22:37     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-10-29 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ching Bon Lam <c.lam_REMOVE_THIS@student.utwente.nl> writes:

> Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov> wrote in
>
> > A question; what search engines did you employ, that did not find
> > this? I'd like to fix that.
>
> I did use google. Searched for "ini file reader". Then for "ini file
> reader class" what was quite stupid since Ada doesn't have class but
> package.

Ok. I don't think I can do anything about that. Searching is an art,
not a science ...

> After i've read this post i decided to look for "ada ini file
> package".. some results:
>
> 1. http://sage.inel.gov/rman_toc_ada.htm
> 2. http://lists.act-europe.fr/pipermail/gtkada/2002-May/001459.html

This is part of the thread that started Grace.Config_Files; cool :)

> 3. http://jacob.sparre.dk/Ada/aws_demo/source/aws-config-ini__adb.htm
>
> ad 1: works with StonyBrook compiler.. never heard of it..
> ad 2: spec file looks good, but where is the body?

You could ask Rolf, but just use Grace.Config_Files; it's a Community
Standard :).

> ad 3: looks like it's aws specific..
>
> also in the result set:
>
> 4. http://www.nongnu.org/Grace/config_files.html
> 5. http://www.toadmail.com/~ada_wizard/ada/windex.html
>
> ad 4: looks like what you have suggested.

Yes. So your search ultimatly succeeded. Good.

> ad 5: I just assumed it's not platform independent.

Right; that is "exact Windows ini format", and it uses the Win32 API.

> What i just wanted is a single package independent of other packages
> and platform independent.

That's Grace.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Ini reader package
@ 2003-10-30  6:35     ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-10-30  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ching Bon Lam" <c.lam_REMOVE_THIS@student.utwente.nl> wrote in message
> Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov> wrote in
>
> > Ching Bon Lam <c.lam_REMOVE_THIS@student.utwente.nl> writes:
> >
> >> Does anyone know if there is some kind of ini file reader/writer
> >> package? Otherwise i'll write one myself.

I have one that read/writes Windows .ini files.

If you pass a file with an extension of '.xml' - it will use... XML!

I can send you a copy directly if you want but I'd rather work on it a week
or so more to get it tested a little more.

* Re: Ini reader package
@ 2003-11-03 23:30 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2003-11-03 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ching Bon Lam wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is some kind of ini file reader/writer package?

I assume you mean Microsoft style ".ini" files.  Yes.  My dad wrote one
several years ago, which I recently fixed some bugs in.  I can ask for
permission to publish it.  Which licenses are usable for you BSD, LGPL,
and/or GPL?

Jacob
--
Noir comme le diable
Chaud comme l'enfer

* Re: Ini reader package
@ 2003-11-04 22:06   ` Ching Bon Lam
From: Ching Bon Lam @ 2003-11-04 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@crs4.it> wrote in

> Ching Bon Lam wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if there is some kind of ini file reader/writer
>> package?
>
> I assume you mean Microsoft style ".ini" files.  Yes.  My dad wrote
> one several years ago, which I recently fixed some bugs in.  I can ask
> for permission to publish it.  Which licenses are usable for you BSD,
> LGPL, and/or GPL?
>
> Jacob

I think i'll use the Grace.config_files package. But thanks anyway for the
offer!

Bon