From: Laurent Pautet <pautet@enst.fr>
Subject: Re: Is CORBA dead for Ada
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:40:35 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2003-10-21T08:40:35+00:00	[thread overview]

Nick Roberts <nick.roberts@acm.org> wrote:

> So would I, but the DSA as it currently stands is suitable only for
> embedded systems (it has no reflection, security, transaction management,
> publication, and so on), and the ARG seems to be very reluctant to expand
> the DSA's role (or separately extend it).

Indeed, there is no attempt to extend DSA. The current idea is to be
less normative in order to allow DSA implementations based on CORBA.
However, my question is about CORBA and not DSA :)

> I wouldn't be surprised if the Ada team are waiting for an indication of
> how the mutual type reference problem is going to be solved in the new
> revision of Ada before undertaking any major review of the Ada binding.

This would mean that it is not possible to use CORBA > 2.3 until Ada0Y
is complete. I do not believe that.

The last CORBA revision is CORBA 3.0. The last Ada mapping is for
CORBA 2.3. In between, many important features have been introduced in
CORBA and many issues have been raised in the (old) mapping (mostly by
O. Kellogg). But the Ada mapping revision seems to be frozen for
years. My belief is that there is no real CORBA market for Ada so the
major tool vendors focus on other markets like the Java and C++ ones.