From: Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT bug on macOS Sierra ?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 12:06:47 -0500
Date: 2016-11-23T12:06:47-05:00	[thread overview]

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 07:53:52 -0800 (PST), Vincent
<vincent.diemunsch@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>Le mercredi 23 novembre 2016 09:46:21 UTC+1, Simon Wright a écrit :
>> Vincent writes:
>>
>> > Therefore I think I have a problem of Path.
>>
>> I think that must be it.
>
>I'll try to fix that... Shall I put /usr/bin in front of my path ?
>One question : does gnat / gcc alwas use "as" or can generate binaries directly ?

	GNAT/gcc aren't a single program... GCC itself consists of a set of
language specific "front-ends" which generate an abtract intermediate
representation which gets fed to architecture specific "back-ends" -- which
emit assembly language files if they don't invisibly invoke the native
assembler to produce object files. And below that lies the linker which
takes a list of object files and libraries and produces the end executable
image.

	GCC tends to hide all those details as it is possible to provide
command line options for compiler, assemble, and linker all as one command,
rather than requiring the user to

gcc file1.src
gcc file2.src	#compile only to assembly source
as  file1.s
as file2.s		#assemble to objects
ln file1.o file2.o -llibx	#link to executable (name taken from first)

(said sequence having been common in the old days)