From: Guillaume Foliard <guifo@wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Re: Using GNU make with ObjectAda
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 00:22:33 +0200
Date: 2003-09-08T22:22:33+00:00	[thread overview]

Stephen Leake wrote:
> Guillaume Foliard <guifo@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>> I do not understand why you want to generate dependencies. I'm using the
>> command line version of ObjectAda under Unix everyday for more than 3
>> years now and I _never_ had to do this. Here is what to do :
>>
>> adareg <list of Ada files>
>> adabuild <unit>
>>
>> That's all.
>
> There's more to real projects than just creating the main Ada
> executable.
>
> You also have to run the unit tests, and see if they pass.
>
> You also have to run any preprocessors needed (gnatprep, Auto_Text_IO,
> whatever).
>
> You may want to generate tar files for source distribution.
>
> You may want to interact with the CM system.
>
> Makefiles are very good for all of these other tasks.

I feel my answer was too short, or maybe my english is awkward, please
forgive me. I was not telling not to use Makefiles, but I was suprised to
see that one could wonder about generating Ada source files dependencies
like in C. And of course I'm a strong advocate at my workplace of Makefiles
use instead of half-baked shell scripts, for all the hereabove tasks you're
describing. Except interacting with a CM system, maybe. Could you elaborate
on this one ? I'm rather used to the development model of the free software
world and I don't see any immediate advantages of performing CM tasks
through a build system.

--
Guillaume