* Audio Input Package
@ 2003-09-03 14:56 Rick Selby
From: Rick Selby @ 2003-09-03 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

After quite some time searching round the internet I've decided I'm not
looking in the right places, and the newsgroups would be a good place to
start.

I'm looking for an Audio Input package of sorts - I need to open an audio
file (probably just WAV format will do) and look at it. I don't need to
directly access the sound card, nor play sound back through the speakers
(although I guess that would be cool, but not necessary).

Anyone have any ideas where I could find such a thing? If not, then
something in C that could be linked (or whatever the right word is) into Ada
and used would do just as well. I can see the latter being more available...
but still don't seem to know the right places to look.

All help appreciated, thanks.

--Rick

* Re: Audio Input Package
@ 2003-09-03 16:04 ` Chad R. Meiners
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Chad R. Meiners @ 2003-09-03 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.technology.niagarac.on.ca/courses/comp630/WavFileFormat.html

> Anyone have any ideas where I could find such a thing? If not, then
> something in C that could be linked (or whatever the right word is) into
Ada
> and used would do just as well. I can see the latter being more
available...
> but still don't seem to know the right places to look.

AdaSDL has a thin and thick binding that allows you to play wave files.  In
Windows you can easily call the appropriate API to play sounds.

* Re: Audio Input Package
@ 2003-09-03 16:09 ` Adrian Knoth
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2003-09-03 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rick Selby <rjs130@york.ac.uk> wrote:

[WAV-stuff]
> Anyone have any ideas where I could find such a thing? If not, then

It should not be too difficult to strip the wav-header and cycle through
the pcm-frames. This could be directly implemented in Ada.

Perhaps we should give it a try right now :)

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Lieber 'ne Biene im Bett als 'ne M�cke im Schlafzimmer

* Re: Audio Input Package
@ 2003-09-03 17:10 ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2003-09-03 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rick Selby wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After quite some time searching round the internet I've decided I'm not
> looking in the right places, and the newsgroups would be a good place to
> start.
>
> I'm looking for an Audio Input package of sorts - I need to open an audio
> file (probably just WAV format will do) and look at it. I don't need to
> directly access the sound card, nor play sound back through the speakers
> (although I guess that would be cool, but not necessary).
>
> Anyone have any ideas where I could find such a thing? If not, then
> something in C that could be linked (or whatever the right word is) into Ada
> and used would do just as well. I can see the latter being more available...
> but still don't seem to know the right places to look.
>
> All help appreciated, thanks.
>
> --Rick

http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg/adavox-0.51.tar.gz

For a description see:

   http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg/software.html

and scroll down to "AdaVox Sound Software" for the details.

The brief summary for it is:

AdaVox Features:

  - Plays a wide range of *.wav files:
  - Standard PCM wave files
  - Microsoft ADPCM compression format
  - IMA/DVI ADPCM compression format
  - u-Law wave files
  - a-Law wave files
  - Plays Sun's *.au/*.snd file formats:
  - Standard PCM samples
  - u-Law compression format
  - a-Law compression format
  - Plays multiple files in sequence
  - Endian neutral (good for PowerPC)
  - Ada95 sound packages can be used for applications
  - Optional "realtime" priority for reliable operation
  - Tested on FreeBSD
  - Tested on Linux (RedHat 7.0, 2.2.16 kernel)
  - Netscape friendly

Even though this software provides a "command", there are
packages that can be used to do what you want to do. I
had planned to do more with this, and maybe will someday,
but I have more urgent projects to do first (like writing
compressed formats). It will read compressed formats, but
not generate compressed formats.

Hope this helps, Warren.
--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

* Re: Audio Input Package
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-09-04  2:19 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 2003-09-04  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Rick Selby" <rjs130@york.ac.uk> writes:

> I'm looking for an Audio Input package of sorts - I need to open an audio
> file (probably just WAV format will do) and look at it. I don't need to
> directly access the sound card, nor play sound back through the speakers
> (although I guess that would be cool, but not necessary).

I have a both WAV and AVI file parsers written in Ada95.  They were used
on the program that won the Ada-Belgium programming contest last year.

I can send you the sources.  Send me your email address and I'll do it tom'w.

(I plan on posting the entire sources on my website, but they used an
early version of the Charles container library, which has been volatile
of late because of AI-302.)

-Matt

* Re: Audio Input Package
@ 2003-09-04 10:10   ` Rick Selby
From: Rick Selby @ 2003-09-04 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Adrian Knoth" <adi@thur.de> wrote in message
> Rick Selby <rjs130@york.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> [WAV-stuff]
> > Anyone have any ideas where I could find such a thing? If not, then
>
> It should not be too difficult to strip the wav-header and cycle through
> the pcm-frames. This could be directly implemented in Ada.
>
> Perhaps we should give it a try right now :)

Tempting... however it's a tiny part of my project (something that won't
even be marked) so I don't really fancy spending time on that when I can be
getting on. If I write it, it's another part of the program that can go
wrong... ;-)

* Re: Audio Input Package
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-09-04 10:12 ` Rick Selby
From: Rick Selby @ 2003-09-04 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the help and links, anything used will be properly accredited.

Cheers