* How to think like a computer scientist?
@ 2003-08-24 18:36 Freejack
From: Freejack @ 2003-08-24 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alright, I'm checking out this website at
	http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/index.htm
and finding it to be a bit insightful.

However I'm wondering if anyone has done something similiar on "How to
think like a Computer Engineer." Or something like it. It seems that
something like this would be a great way to introduce Ada to budding
software engineering hopefuls or hackers.

I'd take a shot at it myself, but I dont know nearly enough to speak
authoritatively on the subject. I'd basically be talking out of my ass.

Perhaps even taking some of the code examples presented in the CS book
above and translating them to Ada could be a useful first start.

Any opinions or ideas?

Freejack

* Re: How to think like a computer scientist?
@ 2003-08-24 22:16 ` Chad R. Meiners
From: Chad R. Meiners @ 2003-08-24 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Freejack" <user@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Alright, I'm checking out this website at
> http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/index.htm
> and finding it to be a bit insightful.
>
> However I'm wondering if anyone has done something similiar on "How to
> think like a Computer Engineer." Or something like it. It seems that
> something like this would be a great way to introduce Ada to budding
> software engineering hopefuls or hackers.

Well I think that most of the Ada 95 text books take similar approach.
However it is true that a book specifically targeting hackers is not
present.  A while back I was trying to write such a book, but I have had to
set it aside to work on a thesis :-(

My objectives were to introduce people (with or without prior experience) to
the discipline of software development in the small.  I figured that a
person must learn how to program effectively in the small before being able
to comprehend how to deal with larger systems.  Therefore, I aimed at
producing a book of about 100 page that covered the basic topics of problem
solving, design abstraction, and translating designs into programs.  I used
Ada 95 as the programming language in the book because Ada allowed me to
gently extend the language vocabulary as requirements increased.

> I'd take a shot at it myself, but I don't know nearly enough to speak
> authoritatively on the subject. I'd basically be talking out of my ass.

Well this all depends on how well you make your arguments ;-)

> Perhaps even taking some of the code examples presented in the CS book
> above and translating them to Ada could be a useful first start.

I suggest that you use your own examples.  You learn must more and become a
better authority if you do so.  Otherwise always remember to cite.