From: "Chad R. Meiners" <crmeiners@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: How to think like a computer scientist?
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:16:58 -0400
Date: 2003-08-24T18:16:58-04:00	[thread overview]

"Freejack" <user@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2003.08.24.18.42.56.894895.816@nospam.com...
> Alright, I'm checking out this website at
> http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/index.htm
> and finding it to be a bit insightful.
>
> However I'm wondering if anyone has done something similiar on "How to
> think like a Computer Engineer." Or something like it. It seems that
> something like this would be a great way to introduce Ada to budding
> software engineering hopefuls or hackers.

Well I think that most of the Ada 95 text books take similar approach.
However it is true that a book specifically targeting hackers is not
present.  A while back I was trying to write such a book, but I have had to
set it aside to work on a thesis :-(

My objectives were to introduce people (with or without prior experience) to
the discipline of software development in the small.  I figured that a
person must learn how to program effectively in the small before being able
to comprehend how to deal with larger systems.  Therefore, I aimed at
producing a book of about 100 page that covered the basic topics of problem
solving, design abstraction, and translating designs into programs.  I used
Ada 95 as the programming language in the book because Ada allowed me to
gently extend the language vocabulary as requirements increased.

> I'd take a shot at it myself, but I don't know nearly enough to speak
> authoritatively on the subject. I'd basically be talking out of my ass.

Well this all depends on how well you make your arguments ;-)

> Perhaps even taking some of the code examples presented in the CS book
> above and translating them to Ada could be a useful first start.

I suggest that you use your own examples.  You learn must more and become a
better authority if you do so.  Otherwise always remember to cite.