* GNU gcov tool with gnat 3.14p
@ 2003-07-31 14:51 Martin Moosbrucker
From: Martin Moosbrucker @ 2003-07-31 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am currently using the GNU gcov tool for code analysis on a RedHat 7.3
operating system. This tool seems to work fine for non-generic packages. For
non generic packages I get a listing of code along with the frequency of
execution for each line:

           1    package body print_hello is

           1       procedure print is
                   begin
           1         Ada.Text_Io.Put_Line("Hallo World");
                   end print;

                end print_hello;

For generic packages the frequency of execution is only shown in the first
line:

           1    package body Utilities.Generics.Id_Management is

Is there a way of getting the frequency of execution for the other lines in
a generic package ?
I am currently using the gnatmake options:
-fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage

when compiling my code.

Thanks

Martin

* Re: GNU gcov tool with gnat 3.14p
@ 2003-07-31 22:04 ` Guillaume Foliard
From: Guillaume Foliard @ 2003-07-31 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Martin Moosbrucker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently using the GNU gcov tool for code analysis on a RedHat 7.3
> operating system. This tool seems to work fine for non-generic packages.
> For non generic packages I get a listing of code along with the frequency
> of execution for each line:

I strongly advise you to have a look at Valgrind with the calltree extension
plus the KCachegrind GUI (see links at the end). I've just started to learn
those tools and I have to say the combination of the three is very pleasant
to use. KCachegrind includes a source annotation display, but I've not
checked yet if generic packages are handled properly.

Valgrind :

http://developer.kde.org/~sewardj

KCachegrind and calltree :

http://kcachegrind.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/show.cgi