From: "Nick Roberts" <nickroberts@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Ada 0x, exception idea ?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:33:39 +0100
Date: 2003-07-27T16:33:39+01:00	[thread overview]

My apologies for my news server, which seems to be missing certain posts in
this thread.

I cannot find a relevant AI (or AC), but I am fairly sure that people have
hinted that the ARG is more or less determined to replace the existing
syntax for a raise statement with:

   RAISE [exception_name] [WHEN expression];

The form with the 'when' reserved word would indeed be syntactic sugar,
exactly equivalent to:

   IF expression THEN RAISE [exception_name]; END IF;

I think it's generally felt that this change is worthwhile because it should
be extremely easy to make, harmless (to existing code), safe (re code
intelligibility), and useful (if only slightly).

"sk" <noname@myob.com> wrote in message

> As a related idea, is there thought/discussion
> about adding a mechanism to attach and retrieve
> error codes to an exception for later processing
> in the exception handler ?

Such a mechanism already exists. Look in the Reference Manual, chapter 11.

--
Nick Roberts
Jabber: debater@charente.de [ICQ: 159718630]