From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org>
Subject: Re: GNAT and MySql - looking for information
Date: 18 Jul 2003 23:56:46 GMT
Date: 2003-07-18T23:56:46+00:00	[thread overview]

Alfred Hilscher <Spam@alfred-hilscher.de> writes:
> I'm using Ada since about 15 years (on Mainframes, OS/2 and Windows).
> I've used it for commandline tools and GUIs. Now I learn how to work
> with databases (especially MySql, but Oracle, too). The course
> concentrates on Java and JDBC, but I would like to do some tests with
> Ada, too.
>
> I've heard that there are Ada95 bindings available. Can someone provide
> me with the following information: Where can I get an actual version of
> those bindings? How good are they? Are they "complete"? Where can I find
> some simple code-examples? Are there any tutorials regarding
> DB-programming with Ada?

Why would you use Ada with MySQL?  That's kind of analagous to
building a tank (Ada being good for military applications :-)), and
then trying to power it by souping up a Ford Pinto.  It's fine, unless
you get rear-ended, in which case the tank blows up.

If you want bindings to a free database that's a little more robust,
consider PostgreSQL.

<http://home.swipnet.se/lundin/ada_95_tools.html>
<http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/pgada.html>
--