From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Pointers explained?
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:21:27 +0200
Date: 2007-08-01T10:17:30+02:00	[thread overview]

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:38:24 -0000, shaunpatterson@gmail.com wrote:

> Are there any version of GNAT that support garbage collection?  I'm
> working with 10-15 year old government system.  Perhaps I can convince them to
> upgrade to an Ada compiler with a garbage collector

AFAIK there exists implementations of Boehm garbage collector for Ada.
Maybe others could provide links. You could also use reference counting
collection (smart pointers), which is more predictable than other
strategies. There also exist many implementations of.

My personal attitude is that GC is in general a bad idea and especially for
a messaging system. It can be justified only when it is *proven* that there
is no other way to manage collection.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov